Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Today's Menu (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f104/)
-   -   Monday, 1/10/2011, What's cooking? (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f104/monday-1-10-2011-whats-cooking-69526.html)

msmofet 01-10-2011 11:22 AM

Monday, 1/10/2011, What's cooking?

I have Beef, Bean and Cheese Enchiladas, Mexican Rice and avacado planned. But one never knows what the day will bring! LOL

Any plans?

pigskins 01-10-2011 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msmofet (Post 957791)
I have Beef, Bean and Cheese Enchiladas, Mexican Rice and avacado planned. But one never knows what the day will bring! LOL

Any plans?

That sounds good, maybe later this week!

I'm in the mood to make some sandwich rolls from scratch and have some ground beef out so it's probably burgers again. Maybe I'll spice them up with some BBQ sauce in the mix or something...

msmofet 01-10-2011 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pigskins (Post 957795)
That sounds good, maybe later this week!

I'm in the mood to make some sandwich rolls from scratch and have some ground beef out so it's probably burgers again. Maybe I'll spice them up with some BBQ sauce in the mix or something...

Thank you.

I had a chili dog for breakfast. LOL That chili tastes better today.

Katie H 01-10-2011 11:36 AM

Cold as..................

We're having white beans and ham hocks, cornmeal pan rolls, tea, and fresh coconut cake with pineapple custard filling.

Andy M. 01-10-2011 11:42 AM

I'm making chicken with pickled peppers and kalamata olives.

msmofet 01-10-2011 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katie H (Post 957805)
Cold as..................

We're having white beans and ham hocks, cornmeal pan rolls, tea, and fresh coconut cake with pineapple custard filling.

Hey there Katie!!

Ok I need details and a recipe for the cornmeal pan rolls (sounds like they may go nicely with my dinner tonight) and the coconut cake (I love coconut!!). Pretty Please

msmofet 01-10-2011 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy M. (Post 957815)
I'm making chicken with pickled peppers and kalamata olives.

Did you mug Peter Piper?

Katie H 01-10-2011 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msmofet (Post 957817)
Hey there Katie!!

Ok I need details and a recipe for the cornmeal pan rolls (sounds like they may go nicely with my dinner tonight) and the coconut cake (I love coconut!!). Pretty Please

The cake is awesome and the only thing I did differently (because I didn't have any whipped topping) was to use sweetened whipped cream for the icing part. It's a Southern Living magazine recipe.

As for the rolls, they are great with a more hearty meal and I made them, except for forming them and the second rise, in my bread machine. They come from Taste of Home magazine. You can find them here.

Enjoy!!!!

msmofet 01-10-2011 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katie H (Post 957827)
The cake is awesome and the only thing I did differently (because I didn't have any whipped topping) was to use sweetened whipped cream for the icing part. It's a Southern Living magazine recipe.

As for the rolls, they are great with a more hearty meal and I made them, except for forming them and the second rise, in my bread machine. They come from Taste of Home magazine. You can find them here.

Enjoy!!!!

Thank you on my way to check them out.

If I don't have the ingredients I can always make a Black Devil's Food Cake topped with whipped cream and coconut!! :chef:

jabbur 01-10-2011 12:25 PM

I have pizza sauce left over from the holidays and need to use it up. It has already been frozen once so don't want to put it back in the freezer. Therefore, the pizza dough is rising in the fridge right now. Will add some bacon that's left over and pepperoni to the sausage and ground beef in the sauce. Top with Swiss, cheddar and Asiago cheese. Since DS is home for the week and DH is teaching tonight I can make both of them happy since the pizza warms up well.

AnnieDrews 01-10-2011 12:38 PM

Made a pot of potato soup last night so it would be available when my boys get home today from their Dad's. My younger son asked me to make it again! Going to have it with french bread and fruit salad (peaches, pears, grapes...maybe banana). Then offer them banana cake for desert. I made the cake this weekend for the first time and it is delicious. I need the boys to eat it so I won't be tempted by it all week....:rolleyes: I could eat the cream cheese frosting with a spoon.:pig:

Kayelle 01-10-2011 12:45 PM

When I was browning up all the pork cubes for my chili verde last night I saw that I had way too much pork, so I took out about three cups of meat to do something else with it today.

I have some ideas rolling around about what to do with it today involving red and yellow bell peppers, onions, and fresh cranberries from the freezer.

Chapter 2 to follow later in the day.:wink:

I'm so craving desert, and I'm such a lousy baker I'll have to figure something out.

cookingfan7 01-10-2011 12:46 PM

I will make ground beef with sweet potatoes and apples today.

PrincessFiona60 01-10-2011 01:11 PM

I'll be cooking up taco meat today for the rest of the week. Tonight will be salmon, rice and aspargus.

Zhizara 01-10-2011 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jabbur (Post 957847)
I have pizza sauce left over from the holidays and need to use it up. It has already been frozen once so don't want to put it back in the freezer. Therefore, the pizza dough is rising in the fridge right now. Will add some bacon that's left over and pepperoni to the sausage and ground beef in the sauce. Top with Swiss, cheddar and Asiago cheese. Since DS is home for the week and DH is teaching tonight I can make both of them happy since the pizza warms up well.

Sounds delicious. What a great way to use up leftovers.:chef:

passioncook 01-10-2011 02:56 PM

Beef braised in Barolo (except I can't afford Barolo! Using Zinfandel instead) and broccoli, don't know what I'll do for a side yet.

babetoo 01-10-2011 04:43 PM

gonna use the leftover pork loin , some white beans and make some chili. cornbread. still have cake for dessert. today is the last day on that. will have to dump it if i can't give it away. oh well! then again i might make lil smokies in puff pastry and munch on them all day. trying to tempt myself to eat.

Uncle Bob 01-10-2011 05:03 PM

Roasted Chicken......
Dumplings......
Green Beans........
Pone Bread.......

PattY1 01-10-2011 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Bob (Post 957955)
Roasted Chicken......
Dumplings......
Green Beans........
Pone Bread.......

Are you out of Chocolate Ice Cream?:lol:

Uncle Bob 01-10-2011 05:34 PM

:ohmy: Heaven to Betsey No!! Uncle Bob is never out of Chocolate Ice Cream!!!:lol:

Kathleen 01-10-2011 07:17 PM

o/~ Kentucky Fried Chicken! They do it right! o/~

It's sausage-making night, so we had KFC with coleslaw, biscuits w/ honey, and whatever it is that they call mashed taters. I really do like their coleslaw and biscuits. Plus, it was a very quick meal with very little clean-up!

As far as our food-crafts tonight, we have made 82 breakfast sausage links. Next is kielbasa. Mmmm. My first recipe post was for kielbasa and sauerkraut made in the crock-pot....to be coming on a "What's Cooking" thread soon! :chef:

AnnieDrews 01-10-2011 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babetoo (Post 957948)
trying to tempt myself to eat.

I don't have that problem....EVER!:wink:

Kathleen-KFC really does have good slaw and biscuits.

Alix 01-10-2011 09:29 PM

I roasted a teeny little chicken and smashed potatoes. We had a big green salad and I sauteed some onions, celery, shredded cabbage and some mushrooms in some of the chicken grease. YUM.

taxlady 01-10-2011 09:40 PM

The biksemad (Danish hash) that DH made was yummy.

babetoo 01-10-2011 10:07 PM

ended up with pigs in blanket.

msmofet 01-10-2011 10:08 PM

I love KFC mashed and gravy and biscuits!!

Dinner was Beef, bean and cheese enchiladas, Mexican rice and guacamole (avocado, red onion, tomato, lime, salt and ground peppercorns) on a bed of baby spinach and tomato slices.

http://www.discusscooking.com/attach...428e5fbce1.jpg

Kayelle 01-10-2011 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayelle (Post 957862)
When I was browning up all the pork cubes for my chili verde last night I saw that I had way too much pork, so I took out about three cups of meat to do something else with it today.

I have some ideas rolling around about what to do with it today involving red and yellow bell peppers, onions, and fresh cranberries from the freezer.

Chapter 2 to follow later in the day.:wink:

I'm so craving desert, and I'm such a lousy baker I'll have to figure something out.

Here's the update.......chapter 2
I browned up a big sliced white onion, and added the pork cubes and half a bag of fresh whole cranberries, some soy sauce, honey and ground ginger, and some chicken broth. Simmered it to get the pork cubes tender, and added slices of red and yellow bell pepper. I served it over Jasmine rice, and had a big green salad. I will sure make this again!! DH loved it.
Didn't get around to making a desert. Just as well.:rolleyes:

Kathleen and Annie.....I also really like KFC's coleslaw!! I have a recipe that tastes exactly like it. And I do mean exactly. Let me know if you want it, and I'll post it tomorrow.:wink:

pigskins 01-10-2011 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayelle (Post 958099)
Here's the update.......chapter 2
I browned up a big sliced white onion, and added the pork cubes and half a bag of fresh whole cranberries, some soy sauce, honey and ground ginger, and some chicken broth. Simmered it to get the pork cubes tender, and added slices of red and yellow bell pepper. I served it over Jasmine rice, and had a big green salad. I will sure make this again!! DH loved it.
Didn't get around to making a desert. Just as well.:rolleyes:

Kathleen and Annie.....I also really like KFC's coleslaw!! I have a recipe that tastes exactly like it. And I do mean exactly. Let me know if you want it, and I'll post it tomorrow.:wink:

I'm not a Kathleen or an Annie but I would like to see it! :smile:

merstar 01-10-2011 11:14 PM

Black bean quesadillas with sauteed garlic, onions, red bell pepper, and mushrooms, salsa, spices, lime juice and extra sharp cheddar.

mrs.mom 01-10-2011 11:33 PM

Today I'm making mashed potatoes with gravy sauce, roast chicken and maybe some white rice. My kids love mashed potatoes. They could never have enough of it. I usually like to roast the chicken in an oven bag. Easy way and turns out great. It also gives a lot of juice which I use to make the gravy.

PattY1 01-11-2011 12:53 AM

It looks YUMMY MsM.

DaveSoMD 01-11-2011 06:20 AM

I made a chicken and snow pea stir fry and used a sauce recipe for kung pao chicken.

msmofet 01-11-2011 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PattY1 (Post 958122)
It looks YUMMY MsM.

Thank you Patty

AnnieDrews 01-11-2011 10:01 AM

Kayelle-I am wildly waving my hand here for that cole slaw recipe!!!:chef:

Zhizara 01-11-2011 10:06 AM

Me too!

Kayelle 01-11-2011 03:05 PM

Here tiz friends......

Hope you enjoy. :wink:

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...tml#post958257

AnnieDrews 01-11-2011 03:08 PM

Thank you so much, Kayelle!!:smile: