Miso and honey flavor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jpinmaryland

Sous Chef
The challenger on Iron chef the other night was using a sauce made of miso and honey.

First question. WHen they say "Miso" what sort of bean sauce are they talking about? I would not think it the black bean paste since that quite salty. Would a brown bean or yellow bean be the paste they are talking about?

What the heck was that guy cooking with this combination?. I think he added sesame as well. ANyhow I mixed up something like this and tastes pretty good. What dishes would you serve it on? chicken?

I would think you'd use white miso if you are combining it with honey. Red or brown miso would be a bit heavy, IMO ...

If you are just using a bit of honey, salad dressing comes to mind as a possible use.

I mixed it with my brown brean sauce which is fairly sweet. I also added a little sesame oil for balance and some ginger and scallions. The whole thing tasted like a nice ginger sauce.

These ingredients should be cooked first, just to be sure. I was just mixing them raw for taste.

What is white miso? is that what is referred to as bean cheese or somethign?

I have a couple recipes with that combo. The marinade if really fabulous and can be used with any meat or fish, even tofu chunks.

Miso Tahini Dip
1/4 c Tahini
3 tb Rice wine vinegar
2 tb Miso (white or brown)
2 tb Vegetable/chicken stock
1 tb Honey
1 tb Dark sesame oil
2 ts Tamari

1.In a food processor or blender, puree the tahini, vinegar, stock, honey, oil and soy sauce or tamari until smooth.
2.Use dip on breads, veggies or fresh fruit>

Miso Marinade
1 lb Fresh meat or firm fleshed fish (pork tenderloin, chicken, beef tenderloin, sea bass, salmon, tuna, scallops, mahi mahi, etc)
1/3 c White or yellow miso
1/3 c Maple syrup
1/4 c Sake, dry white wine, or water
2 tb Fresh ginger, minced

1.In a heavy plastic food bag (about 1 quart), combine miso, syrup, sake, ginger, and meat; mix well. Seal shut and chill for at least 1 hour, or up to 24 hours. Marinate fish for only 1-3 hours.
2.Grill, broil, or bake meat as desired. Marinade can be boiled and reduced for a dipping sauce.

these recipes correspond w/ what I found doing a google search.

They seem to use white miso most often, sometimes brown sometimes yellow. Seems to be most often used on salmon, tofu too.

The iron chef usage was the other day on the iron chef america show during the catfish episode. The mexican chef (Trevini) was making a joke about it, so I dunno if it was him or Batali that was using it.

Back
Top Bottom