Glad I Have a Big Strong Dog!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barbara L

Traveling Welcome Wagon
I just got in from checking the mail. As I sit here nursing my bleeding hand, all I can say is thank God that I have a big strong dog. Most of the yard was just soggy and it was easy to avoid most of the ice. It was really slick by the mailbox though, and I fell. I absolutely couldn't get up, partly because of my weight and knees, and partly because of the ice. I had to put all my weight on Cubbie to get up. He was a trooper and didn't complain a bit.

:)Barbara

Thanks! My hand still stings a little, and it weirdly looks like I have a splinter (which I don't), but it feels a lot better. I was wearing light-weight rayon pants and also landed on my knees, but my hand apparently took the brunt of it. I'm ok with that though because I have bad knees and don't need to mess them up! I gave Cubbie tons of love when we got in!

Glad you are okay. Slipping on ice ranks right up there with the scarier moments in everyday life. You can feel yourself going down and there is just no real way to stop it. Hope you have some salt to spread.

oh barb, i know what a helpless feeling it is, not being able to get up. i would just leave the mail til the ice, etc all clears up. glad you aren't to hurt. hug your dog a lot.

Thanks everyone! I'm definitely ok. The cuts sting a little, but that is just part of the healing process. One is on the palm of my hand, on the joint where the index finger joins the hand. It is about 3/4 of an inch long. The other is on the outside of my thumb and is very small, but I think deeper than the other.

It was close to 40 degrees F today, so a lot more of the ice melted, I'm sure. The problem is, the ground is completely soaked and it is supposed to get down to 11 degrees over night. The next few days are supposed to warm up, but it will be below freezing over night. The yard was beautiful yesterday, but it was literally like a skating rink! After the snow we had freezing rain, so it was just a huge sheet of ice. I'm looking forward to it disappearing, but I may salt that area a little when I get the mail! I'm lucky Cubbie has been running all over the yard, breaking the ice up. Our neighbors have a few acres, and it is a sheet of ice.

oh barb, i know what a helpless feeling it is, not being able to get up. i would just leave the mail til the ice, etc all clears up. glad you aren't to hurt. hug your dog a lot.
It really was a helpless feeling! I never even stepped foot outside from Sunday to Wednesday. I got the mail with no problem yesterday. I might get it tomorrow, but if I do I will go armed with salt! Or something to break the ice up.

Yep, Cubbie has been getting lots of hugs. :cool:

Thank you licia! I feel fine today. :cool:

I'm glad you are okay. You should (for our peace of mind) get some of those strap on cleats for your boots. There was a good discussion about them and other walking in ice/snow aids.

If you still fall and can't get up you can always strap them on your knees.:LOL:

Please take care, girlfriend, you got lucky this time.:ohmy:

I missed this yesterday! So sorry you fell and hooray for Cubbie, he's a hero! Yaktraks...you need some of these before you venture out on the ice. Take care!

Fortunately we don't get ice here much--in fact this is the first time the yard has ever been iced over. The brick stairs leading out our front door do get icy now and then, and that really scares me. We usually put something on them but didn't get a chance to this time. More of it should melt today. We were supposed to go to our friends' house tonight, but part of the reason we won't be able to make it is that Cubbie's whole area where we tie him out is still an ice rink. Plus his water tub is frozen. I'll be glad when this ice goes away! Snow I don't mind, ice I mind!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom