Substitution for Ricotta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Juanita Maiz

Assistant Cook
Can I substitute something (tofu? greek yogurt?) for the ricotta in the following recipe?

Tuscan Pudding

12 oz. ricotta cheese
4 egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
2 t. pure vanilla extract
zest of one small lemon
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup golden raisins
2 oz ground blanched almonds
1 oz minced candied orange peel

Preheat oven to 350; grease medium mold or baking dish.

Beat ricotta and egg yolks together until very smooth. Add sugar, vanilla, and lemon zest and beat well until incorporated. Add other ingredients and mix well.

Pour into mold and bake 30 minutes. Serve warm, at room temp or chilled.

Makes 6 servings.

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Juanita

Marscapone or cottage cheese pulsed in a blender to smooth it out. Maybe a THICK greek style yogurt would work too. Would make it more tangy though...

Depending on the type of ricotta used in the recipe (smooth blend ricotta you get in tubs in the refrigerated section of the supermarket VS non-blended still whole ricotta from delis), cottage cheese or Mascarpone could be the way to go as both are usually the most commonly associated as substitutions. Since you're blending the mixture it wouldn't matter so much texture wise.

Just a thought - you could always test combining the two (cottage cheese and Mascarpone that is) to get the closest texture/taste to Ricotta. Perhaps lean a little more towards a bit more cottage cheese than Mascarpone, just in case there's too much of a bitter 'bite' to it since it's usually made with creme fraiche/tartaric acid/buttermilk which would take away the replication of that Ricotta taste.

Or I'm just totally over-thinking it :ermm:. Good luck!

Depending on the type of ricotta used in the recipe (smooth blend ricotta you get in tubs in the refrigerated section of the supermarket VS non-blended still whole ricotta from delis), cottage cheese or Mascarpone could be the way to go as both are usually the most commonly associated as substitutions. Since you're blending the mixture it wouldn't matter so much texture wise.

Just a thought - you could always test combining the two (cottage cheese and Mascarpone that is) to get the closest texture/taste to Ricotta. Perhaps lean a little more towards a bit more cottage cheese than Mascarpone, just in case there's too much of a bitter 'bite' to it since it's usually made with creme fraiche/tartaric acid/buttermilk which would take away the replication of that Ricotta taste.

Or I'm just totally over-thinking it :ermm:. Good luck!

Isn't Mascarpone pretty expensive? This thread has got me thinking more along the cottage cheese idea. It's totally different when used as a topping for Hamburger Onion Pie when mixed with beaten egg.

Of course this is a little off topic for the OP. When used in a pudding texture/moisture would have to be a factor. I like the idea of tofu as a substitute, but have no idea about using it in a pudding.:LOL:

Cottage cheese is the most like ricotta. Mascarpone is expensive, delicious and rich but I think it's more like cream cheese.

Cottage cheese is the most like ricotta. Mascarpone is expensive, delicious and rich but I think it's more like cream cheese.

Hmmm. Cream cheese blended with cottage cheese? Hmmm!

Now you see why I never get to clean out my freezer. So many inspiring ideas to try!

Last edited:
Isn't Mascarpone pretty expensive? This thread has got me thinking more along the cottage cheese idea. It's totally different when used as a topping for Hamburger Onion Pie when mixed with beaten egg.

Of course this is a little off topic for the OP. When used in a pudding texture/moisture would have to be a factor. I like the idea of tofu as a substitute, but have no idea about using it in a pudding.:LOL:

Hmm if you're buying pre-packaged in tub Ricotta, then yes, in comparison Mascarpone is likely to be more expensive (I wouldn't call it an outrageously pricey cheese, but it isn't el cheapo). Having said that it can always boil down to what you're actually using in the first place. In the case of a pudding like the OP has listed, I was wondering if cottage cheese on its own wouldn't be firm enough, so a mixture of cottage and Mascarpone would theoretically give a better, more similar texture and feel to Ricotta (at least cottage cheese I've seen, seems to be with a higher water content compared to Ricotta).

Tofu I actually have no experience in using in a pudding form :ermm: you'd have to compensate for the blandness, and again its water content. I guess what kind of pudding the recipe is meant to result in is also a clear factor.

See this is what happens, I get curious then start over-thinking scenarios :LOL:!

I'd go with the cottage cheese myself. I often substitute cottage for ricotta in recipes. I buy the small curd and it works well. I've blended it some if I want it smoother but most times don't bother. This recipe is being blended anyway so I doubt the difference would be noticeable. Andy's description of the difference between cottage and mascarpone is right on.

AH! Cream cheese! Yes, a much cheaper choice for the same sort of use than Mascarpone. I knew I was forgetting something.

Back
Top Bottom