Ontario Foodies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
The Winter Food and Drink magazine is available. It has some yummy sounding recipes for a curried pea soup, crepes, and seafood in parchment paper. For those not in Ontario, you can search the recipes on the LCBO Website LCBO Food and Drink

Food and Drink published a lovely zucchini slaw recipe a couple of years ago (one of my favs) and a lovely apple and onion soup and oh, I'll stop. You can put the main ingredient in the search field and it will return recipes using that ingredient. The Porteguese Kale Soup is one of my favorites. You can pdf the recipes and save them on you hard drive. The XMas version of F&D is always in high demand and disappears from the LCBO quickly. If you want to make flavored sugar, a few years ago the XMas (Holiday) issue had instructions re: lavender sugar, vanilla sugar, etc.

For those in other provinces, do you have s/thing similar and if so, is there a link you can post?

That is a good mag. LCBO does it up well. Have you ever heard of the controversy it has caused regarding other food and drink mags? They have put in formal protests that they are being hurt by the competition from a government funded publication. Intresting enough.

That is a good mag. LCBO does it up well. Have you ever heard of the controversy it has caused regarding other food and drink mags? They have put in formal protests that they are being hurt by the competition from a government funded publication. Intresting enough.

I don't know about you Ontarians. The SAQ manages to make money, it doesn't require government funds. ;)

I hadn't heard any negatives re: the mag. From my conversation with the clerk, Food and Drink is advertise driven. Originally, it did not contain any ads, now it does, and the ads pay for the mag. It is distributed 5x year ( a winter edition, early summer, summer, autumn, and the coveted holiday edition). I think it first came out in 1998, I know I have all of them...been scanning and pdfing the recipes to get rid of the mags. My only complaint is that often the recipes are not "season" specific in that the ingredients aren't locally available/fresh in the garden when the mag comes out. But the recipes are really tasty. Friends and I have done parties based on an issue and have had a lot of fun doing that. Not all the recipes that are in the magazine are on the Website, at least not lately, but I'd recommend browsing the site and pdfing/saving the recipes. The nice thing is that, at least for me, they always work and always are recipes people like. FWIW, the LCBO makes a LOT of money.

K.

I think it was the 2003/2004 Holiday edition that had a very nice savory cheesecake recipe. I made it a few times as my contribution re: potlucks. If I remember, it had cream cheese, goat cheese, maybe ricotta, and I think it was baked. It also had hot and sweet peppers. Hmmm...that was good, I'll have to dig out the recipe.

There were also some very nice tarts (swiss chard, different cheeses, another with zucchini) that were in one of the summer editions that I made that were a big hit as well. The dessert recipes are wonderful. I do get a lot of inspiration from F&D.

I must say, that I do make the Kale soup recipe a lot and it is always a big hit with my friends and family.
K.

... FWIW, the LCBO makes a LOT of money.

K.

I hope you realize I was just funning with ya.

I was poking at the people Rocklobster was referring to, the ones who get government run confused with government funded. I meet people like that often.

Can you imagine how badly a liquor store with a monopoly would have to be run to not make a nice profit? :ohmy: :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom