Crock-pot 9 hours ok?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

legend_018

Head Chef
ok - I'm cooking a 7 bone roast in the crock pot tomorrow. Onion Soup mix packets and homemade cranberry sauce will be in there as well. I usually use the 7 bone steaks when doing this and I'm not too experienced with roasts in the crock pot.

should 9 hours be ok on LOW for the 5 pound "7 bone Roast" I bought?

I would think so, but thought I'd double check in case. I'm serving potatoes and a green bean casserole on the side. Today I made a home made cake called Grooms Peanut Butter Pound cake. It was in the Penzy Spice magazine I got. It's in the oven right now. I'll probably make the icing for it tomorrow. It's a combo chocolate chips/heavy cream mixture. : )

Are you going to be home tomorrow, legend? I like to start my CP on high for a couple of hrs, and then reduce to low. I've made your recipe before, and it's delicious. Just don't remember how long I cooked it.
Ykies, you're going to be able to keep away from that cake till tomorrow to frost it? It would be half gone by tomorrow in this house.:LOL:

Yes, I'll be home. I'm suppose to have dinner ready around 3:30pm, which means I'll have to set my alarm to get everything into the crockpot at 6:30am ish. I have only put my crock pot on high when I am rushed to get something done and forgot to put it all together in enough time to keep it cooking on low.

I also usually use the canned cranberry sauce, but this time I made my own.

On another note, I good thing I stuck a small toothpick (all I had) into the cake, since it seems like it's done. It said an hour and 35 minutes on 325 - starting off with a cold oven, but my oven took a LOT shorter than that. It also called for a different type of cake pan in the recipe and my oven was probably a still a LITTLE warm from the enchallada's I cooked earlier. It called for one large round cake pan, where I used two regular sized cake pans.

Yes, I'll be home. I'm suppose to have dinner ready around 3:30pm, which means I'll have to set my alarm to get everything into the crockpot at 6:30am ish. I have only put my crock pot on high when I am rushed to get something done and forgot to put it all together in enough time to keep it cooking on low.

For sure, start it on high if you want it done by 3:30. Remember a solid 7 bone roast will take much longer than 7 bone steaks. If it's done before 3:30, no harm done.

Should I still start at 6:30am? So how many hours on high before I turn it down to low? Cooking on high in the crockpot won't change aka overcook the roast right? I think 7 bone roasts/steaks are meant to be cooked on low or braised in the oven on low since it's not the highest quality meat out there. I think. The 7 bone steaks I've cooked before always come out good and tender though, but I've never cooked it any where else other than the crock pot. I don't use my crockpot a lot, but for some things i like cooking in it.

Yes, start around 6:30 am on high for about two hrs, then turn it down to low. Starting on high should have no affect, other than give it a head start, since the majority of cooking will be on low. Like I said, if it's done before 3:30, no harm done. I can't imagine overcooking in this case.

Last edited:
my kids are usually up no later than 7:30am, would be ideal if I could just do it than. Since It's best that I start on high for a few hours - maybe I can get away with it.

I'm sure starting at 7:30 would be fine. If it gets to be late in the afternoon and the roast doesn't seem tender enough go ahead and turn it up to high for a while.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom