Spice Dates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

betterthanabox

Senior Cook
I have some spices that expired in July that I got for Christmas from someone. Are they ok to use? If they were in my kitchen prior to July they probably would still be there anyway. What do you think I should do?:ermm:

They are still fine to use. Spices don't really go bad. They just lose potency over time. smell them and see how strong they smell. Worst case you will just need to use a little more.

If the spices are a little old, you can also smash them between your fingers to bring a little more flavor out of them. Works for me.;)

Last edited:
They are still fine to use. Spices don't really go bad. They just lose potency over time. smell them and see how strong they smell. Worst case you will just need to use a little more.

^yep yep

i've been told no longer then six months for dry stuff but i've opened things up a year later and they lost a little bit, but not enough to make me toss all of it.
I think I've had the same thing of pepper flakes for like 2 years now and they have yet to lose their kick

As everyone said very well, expired spices are fine - just lose their flavor a bit! To compensate, you can "flash" them in a pan for about 20 seconds (without burning them) to bring out the oils and the flavors. Do this to the spices you need in the right amounts before cooking. Then, transfer them to a bowl or other container, continue cooking, and add them when needed!

The problem was I got them out of date, and wasn't too keen on having them around, I got them as a Christmas gift, I ended up tossing them, I figured when in doubt... I know I have other spices that have been in my kitchen a while, so it's not a big deal.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom