Is there a site with an ingredients checklist?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

venorept

Assistant Cook
I am new here, so I hope I'm posting this in the right area.

I really don't do a lot of cooking at home, but want to start, because it's healthier and cheaper, and I want to be able to make nice dinners for guests.

So, I am wondering if there exists a website or application where there's a checklist full of all sorts of ingredients, spices and foods, and you check off all the items that you currently have (and possibly even save this as your personal Inventory list), and then it searches for recipes that you can cook, based solely on only those ingredients you have.

Y'know what I mean?

I am new here, so I hope I'm posting this in the right area.

I really don't do a lot of cooking at home, but want to start, because it's healthier and cheaper, and I want to be able to make nice dinners for guests.

So, I am wondering if there exists a website or application where there's a checklist full of all sorts of ingredients, spices and foods, and you check off all the items that you currently have (and possibly even save this as your personal Inventory list), and then it searches for recipes that you can cook, based solely on only those ingredients you have.

Y'know what I mean?

Welcome to DC, Venorept. I'd suggest you build your store of basics, by choosing a recipe you'd like to make. Make your grocery list from the recipe. As you try each new recipe your store of staples will grow naturally with the things you like to make. If you like an ingredient, make sure to add it back to your grocery list when you're low or use the last of it.

Good luck and have fun. You're in a great place to find new recipes that have been tried and tweaked already for you and lots of great people to help you out.

I had recently moved a year and a half ago and had to start over. I gradually amassed my basics, but made my own list by taking about 6 months worth of cash register receipts and listing them using a spreadsheet adding the department as well. After listing them all, I removed any duplicates, then sorted them alphabetically, as well as by department (dairy, baking, beverage) then printed the list out.

I keep a grocery list handy and before I go to the store, I look over my spreadsheet list to make sure I have everything I need.

Last edited:
Wow, thanks! I will definitely check out those links, especiall Supercook.

Welcome to DC, Venorept. I'd suggest you build your store of basics, by choosing a recipe you'd like to make. Make your grocery list from the recipe. As you try each new recipe your store of staples will grow naturally with the things you like to make. If you like an ingredient, make sure to add it back to your grocery list when you're low or use the last of it.
This is a really good suggestion!

I had recently moved a year and a half ago and had to start over. I gradually amassed my basics, but made my own list by taking about 6 months worth of cash register receipts and listing them using a spreadsheet adding the department as well. After listing them all, I removed any duplicates, then sorted them alphabetically, as well as by department (dairy, baking, beverage) then printed the list out.

I keep a grocery list handy and before I go to the store, I look over my spreadsheet list to make sure I have everything I need.
Wow....that's way more organized than my approach! :LOL:

I used to keep a grocery list vigilantly because I would only go grocery shopping every 10 to 14 days and always had to stock up on a lot. Now that I'm living in the Philippines a lot of what I buy is either fresh (vegetables and fruits aren't treated with preservatives here) or a basic stock item like flour, sugar, butter, etc. Since food here doesn't seem to keep as long I find myself shopping for a small amount of things every 2 to 3 days....and have grown out of the habit of keeping a list. Now I might be out running other errands and just stop in the store to "feel my way through" what I need. :ohmy:

I'm also limited in what I can carry as 95% of the time we're on our scooter. :LOL:

Last edited:
Here's a nice blog that might help you out as well: The Perfect Pantry. Tons of good info and recipes there.

While I'm not as organized or disciplined as the other Zhizara <3 I definitely felt a twinge of geek envy at the spreadsheet idea. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom