Help Please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bnjfarm

Assistant Cook
I'm on a diet similar to "thrive", if anyone has heard of it...I've been doing well, but it's a constant challenge to find fulfilling meals when they must be low carb and low sugar. Does anyone have any really good suggestions for healthy "junk" food?

I chopped green olives and stirred them into cream cheese, spread on whole grain crackers. Those were great for me when I was on Low-carb.

Never heard of that particular diet, but my husband needs some low carb snacks. Nuts and jerkey work well. Cheese is good if you can handle the fat. Celery stuffed with cream cheese (you can buy it low fat in various flavors, or do as Fiona has suggested) and/or peanut butter. Husband loves low-fat Triscuits for whole grain snacks when he does chose a starch.

BTW, bnjfarm, sugar is a carb (this will help you when looking up nutritional info on snacks). Carbohydrates are (or at least to be, when I took Home Ec many moons ago) broken down into starches and sugars.

Last edited:
It's a lot of lean protein and fiberous carbs, which basically means white chicken and broccoli...or white fish and green beans...I know there are much more more creative ways to use those type things, but I'm not so much on the creative side!
We can have cheese, as long as it's "light" and "white", but it would have to be eaten with a veggie...I'll have to look into the light cream cheese with celery, that sounds good. Thanks for the input!

Last edited:
Yes, the rule is 50-2/2...less than 50 calories, 2 carbs and 2 grams of sugar per serving and it is acceptable for a condiment. I was surprised to see that carbs/sugar can actually be higher in lower fat foods...I feel like I'm back in high school lab sometimes, configuring these combinations! Today, however is our "off" day so I have a big pot of chili on and I am about to fry some sweet potatoes, w/ cinnamon sugar.... :w00t2: Now, what to have for dessert...hmmmmm....

When we did the Atkins, I rolled up cream cheese in shaved, lean beef. I would think a Boursin cheese rolled in chicken or turkey breast would be yummy. I would add a pickled asparagus spear from time to time too - not many carbs if you use dill, not sweet pickled.

When we did the Atkins, I rolled up cream cheese in shaved, lean beef. I would think a Boursin cheese rolled in chicken or turkey breast would be yummy. I would add a pickled asparagus spear from time to time too - not many carbs if you use dill, not sweet pickled.
I do the same thing except I roll the whole business around a green onion. Sometimes I chill the roll very well and cut it into medallions. Makes a great snack, low-carb or not. (It's actually one of our favorite party foods) I also use mushroom slices in place of crackers when I am looking for something to put a spread or cheese on. Works for me.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom