Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Cookbooks, Software etc. (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f87/)
-   -   Favorite non recipe cookbook? (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f87/favorite-non-recipe-cookbook-69779.html)

garlicjosh 01-23-2011 04:11 AM

Favorite non recipe cookbook?

Cookbooks are great and amazing and I mostly use mine to get ideas of what i want to eat then they go back on the shelf while I concoct the dish my way...anyway (enough of my rambling)

Any of you pick up cooking/ food themed books?
examples: On Food And Cooking, Cookwise/bakewise..books about the history of spices...jazz like that

was just wondering if you had any favorites

Mine:

On Food And Cooking
Cookwise
Cooking For Geeks
Spices

Zhizara 01-23-2011 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garlicjosh (Post 962471)
Cookbooks are great and amazing and I mostly use mine to get ideas of what i want to eat then they go back on the shelf while I concoct the dish my way...anyway (enough of my rambling)

Any of you pick up cooking/ food themed books?
examples: On Food And Cooking, Cookwise/bakewise..books about the history of spices...jazz like that

was just wondering if you had any favorites

Mine:

On Food And Cooking
Cookwise
Cooking For Geeks
Spices

Not exactly a cookbook, but I found a Bisquick Notebook and in it were piles of 6 recipe card sheets. I took them all apart and sorted through them for a couple of days until I had the ones that inspired me the most. I returned the notebook and the rest of the cards and newsletters back to our library for others to pick through.

This stack of recipes is maybe 50 of recipes that inspire me every time I look at them.

DC keeps me so inspired with great cooking ideas, I haven't gone through those recipes in awhile.:chef:

Silversage 01-23-2011 07:45 AM

I like McGee's On Food an Cooking
Patterson's What's a Cook to Do?
Rosengarten's Taste

Claire 01-23-2011 08:24 AM

Anything by MFK Fisher and Jeffry Steingarten. Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential.

How about including some great food movies?

garlicjosh 01-23-2011 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claire (Post 962509)
Anything by MFK Fisher and Jeffry Steingarten. Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential.

How about including some great food movies?

If you know GOOD food movies, go ahead and list them.
The only one that comes to mind for me is ratatouille

joesfolk 01-23-2011 01:45 PM

Well, Julie and Julia comes to mind right away.
As for books I have Grandmother's Kitchen
wisdom (Over 10001 Solutions to Common Kitchen Problems.) By Dr. Myles H. Bader

garlicjosh 01-23-2011 02:17 PM

oh yes, Julie and Julia was really good

Rocklobster 01-23-2011 02:25 PM

I found an old book at a second hand shop years ago called Food Theory and Applications. It is a text book, but it covers tons of stuff. I pull it down every so often and can't believe how interesting it is.

garlicjosh 01-23-2011 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocklobster (Post 962607)
I found an old book at a second hand shop years ago called Food Theory and Applications. It is a text book, but it covers tons of stuff. I pull it down every so often and can't believe how interesting it is.

i might have to look into that...sounds like right around my area of interest.

Claire 01-23-2011 03:25 PM

Oh, Dearie Me, you're going to challenge my little gray cells. I will get on line to get the names of the movies! Right off the top of my head I can think of three, but cannot for the life of me remember their titles! One was about ....well, I'll go on line and come back later. There are several, and some of them can inspire dinner parties!