Mongolian Beef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This dish looks so yummy : ) What is the best cut of beef to use for this? I have tried to make Asian dishes with beef and I can never quite get the tenderness of the meat like they do in the restaurants. Any suggestions? Thanks : )

Thank you. Flank steak would work really good. 2 ways to keep the beef tender. You could do the velveting meathod. Or just sear on both sides in a really hot pan. and remove and add back in at the end.

That looks really good, PPTop! What kind of chili pepper do you use? recommend?

Welcome to DC, yogababe. Try our site's search function, within a discussion thread, for the term "velveting" to get that soft chinese stir fry tenderness out of beef.

Jalapenos would work but really its up to your heat level.

Thank you. Flank steak would work really good. 2 ways to keep the beef tender. You could do the velveting meathod. Or just sear on both sides in a really hot pan. and remove and add back in at the end.
What is velveting?

I am worried about the cut of beef to use. I have so called "Beef chuck country style ribs boneless" as well as beef back ribs; both are frozen. The girl I am cooking for is kinda paricular about meat so wondering if this will mess up the recipe...

Also they are frozen can I defrost them, marinate overnight and place on the grill? Most recipes call for stir frying this but Ive seen them grill it in a real korean restaurant.

Thanks all..

JP, You can, but it will not be Mongolian beef, if you grill the meat. Use chuck. Ribs are good for slow long cooking. This is cooked really fast. The best part would be the flank. But chuk will do if you sliced thin, but then I am not sure how you would grill it...

Last edited:
Msmofet, it's basically a quick marinade to coat the beef, and then a quick flash in the pan... You would then remove it, finish preparing your dish, and add the beef in at the last minute... ;):)
WOW!! I have always done that! I never knew that that was a "method" that had a special name! LOL

I marinade in soy sauce, oil, ginger, garlic, cornstarch and sometimes wine or rice wine vinegar.

ok I am going to go with the beef chuck. But what about marinating? All these recipes usually do it for a short time. Are there any issues if I do it over night? Like I dont think I'd use vinegar..why no overnight?

If you use flank steak the other thing you need to do is be sure you cut it correctly.

Lay the steak out so that the grain of the meat is running left-to-right. Take your knife and hold it at @ a 45 degree angle and slice off thin pieces of the steak.

I googled about 7 or 8 recipes for korean flank steak and they all have the same ingredients: soy, sugar, sesame, garlic, ginger...Rachel ray used honey about 2 oz soy and 1 oz honey Otherwise dont see much difference.

Only one recipe called for marinating overnight, but I swear the korean lady next door does it overnight. ANy thoughts on this?

I googled about 7 or 8 recipes for korean flank steak and they all have the same ingredients: soy, sugar, sesame, garlic, ginger...Rachel ray used honey about 2 oz soy and 1 oz honey Otherwise dont see much difference.

Only one recipe called for marinating overnight, but I swear the korean lady next door does it overnight. ANy thoughts on this?

Depending upon what you put in the marinade over night can improve the out come. However lots of recipies for bulgogi (Korean Version) have fruits like apple that can break down the meat. This is what my wife does so she does not marinade more than 24 hours.

For sweetness the Korean version is a lot sweeter. They use fruits, honey, sugar, brown sugar and Coke.

that's interesting, the Korean lady if I recall said sesame oil. that and sugar was the only sweet I recall.

Nice looking recipe, PP, I'll take it.

I use flank steak almost exclusively for stir-frys. I never have an issue with tenderness.

Slicing it properly is important. I do it this way for bite-sized pieces.

Start with a whole piece of flank steak laid flat on the cutting board. You will see the muscle fibers (grain) in the meat. Cut the whole steak into 1.5 inch wide strips WITH the grain. Then cut each strip into 1/4" thick slices ACROSS the grain.

Then marinate as directed and you will be all set.

Last edited:

I use flank steak almost exclusively for stir-frys. I never have an issue with tenderness.

Flank steak works really good for this meathod of cooking. Cut and cooked properly it will be tender and taste good.

Pear is the fruit in bulgogi. It has papain, which acts to tenderize the meat.
Same protein as is used in Adolph's meat tenderizer.
(They say it is good to use on insect stings, too, LOL)

Another cut of meat that would be good for this is flat iron steak!

Slicing it properly is important. I do it this way for bite-sized pieces.

Start with a whole piece of flank steak laid flat on the cutting board. You will see the muscle fibers (grain) in the meat. Cut the whole steak into 1.5 inch wide strips WITH the grain. Then cut each strip into 1/4" thick slices ACROSS the grain.

Then marinate as directed and you will be all set.

I think it was you who mentioned this way of cutting beef a while back. It's brilliant. When you try to cut a large piece thinly across the grain, it all wiggles and you don't get very uniform thickness. The narrow strips are better behave and let you get uniform thickness much more easily.

Pear is the fruit in bulgogi. It has papain, which acts to tenderize the meat.
Same protein as is used in Adolph's meat tenderizer.
(They say it is good to use on insect stings, too, LOL)

Another cut of meat that would be good for this is flat iron steak!

I believe the papaya works even better. ;)

I think it was you who mentioned this way of cutting beef a while back. It's brilliant. When you try to cut a large piece thinly across the grain, it all wiggles and you don't get very uniform thickness. The narrow strips are better behave and let you get uniform thickness much more easily.

I tend to repeat myself.

Back
Top Bottom