Do you use your books as much anymore, or the Internet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rocklobster

Master Chef
Do you use your cookbooks as much as you used to, or do you go to the internet for recipes, techniques and other cooking info? I find myself searching recipes on line a lot more. I still pull a book down every couple of days, but they don't seem to get the love they once used to.
Anybody?

I only use my cookbooks for tried and true recipes. Anything else I look up on the web. I find I get a better variety of recipes this way and it doesn't take up a lotof space in the house. Still there is something to be said for the feel of a book in your hand.

It really depends on what I want to cook. Sometimes I look in a couple of cookbooks for expert opinions then compare to internet recipes (maybe).

Other times I just go to the internet.

I use on-line recipes and if I like them I'll print them. So ultimately, I'll be reading them off of paper, regardless, unless I have my laptop handy in the kitchen.

Last edited:
I use on-line recipes and if I like them I'll print them. So ultimately, I'll be reading them off of paper, regardless.

I do too, and the advantage is that I can make notes of any changes I made or want to make right on the same piece of paper.:chef:

Do you use your cookbooks as much as you used to, or do you go to the internet for recipes, techniques and other cooking info? I find myself searching recipes on line a lot more. I still pull a book down every couple of days, but they don't seem to get the love they once used to.
Anybody?

They make great door stoppers. :ohmy:

I use my books all the time - they are my "reference" - the place where I begin when attempting a classic dish. From there, I look up popular recipes on the web to compare and start threads if I'm really bent on getting something down that has eluded me.

So books first for me!

I rarely look at cookbooks anymore. If there is a recipe I know is in one and I want it then I go to the book. The Internet just has way too much to offer for recipes and technique.

Of course I haven't bought a DTB of any kind (except for gifts) in over two years.

I rarely look at cookbooks anymore. If there is a recipe I know is in one and I want it then I go to the book. The Internet just has way too much to offer for recipes and technique.

Of course I haven't bought a DTB of any kind (except for gifts) in over two years.

For shame...rarely look at cookbooks anymore!;) I love my cookbooks! I am not saying that I don't also go online, but a good cookbook is just like a good book. Made to be enjoyed over and over. Sometimes I just sit and read for inspiration and fun. 100 years from now my family will find my cookbooks with all of the notes in the margins, and know who I was. I don't think they would know what I cooked the most without those books (you can tell from the notes and the stains on the pages). That is why the recipes that I get here that I love will go into a cooking journal. You will all be a bit of my family history!

almost always go to net for everyday stuff. that way you only see recipes for the thing you want to make. i print as well. i find i understand new methods better from my books, usually joy of cooking. i do use my books for old favorites. usually if i look for something in a cookbook, i get distracted by all of the wonderful things to make. since i won't live long enough to try them all, it is really wasted time for me.

almost always go to net for everyday stuff. that way you only see recipes for the thing you want to make. i print as well. i find i understand new methods better from my books, usually joy of cooking. i do use my books for old favorites. usually if i look for something in a cookbook, i get distracted by all of the wonderful things to make. since i won't live long enough to try them all, it is really wasted time for me.

If it has to do with cooking, it is never wasted time. Here's hoping you will be "dancing in the rain" for a very long time!:)

My cookbooks spend most of their time in bed with me :LOL: it's what I like to read before I sleep. But I would say that 90% of the new things I try come from the 'net. There is just so much wonderful information and so many great ideas out there; I can literally lose hours of time just meandering from site to site. It also satisfies my inner geek that I can analyse and compare several recipes for the same dish and come up with the best-of-the-best for our tastes.

I would say that I find at least one recipe a day that I bookmark or save onto a word document; most days it's more than that. I am sure not keeping up with getting them all tried but I love collecting them nonetheless.

My cookbooks spend most of their time in bed with me :LOL: it's what I like to read before I sleep. But I would say that 90% of the new things I try come from the 'net. There is just so much wonderful information and so many great ideas out there; I can literally lose hours of time just meandering from site to site. It also satisfies my inner geek that I can analyse and compare several recipes for the same dish and come up with the best-of-the-best for our tastes.

I would say that I find at least one recipe a day that I bookmark or save onto a word document; most days it's more than that. I am sure not keeping up with getting them all tried but I love collecting them nonetheless.

I could have written this... describes me to a T... :ROFLMAO: I also go to bed with my cookbooks, and I use Google docs to collect net recipes, so that way I have them wherever I have access to a computer... comes in handy!

I have cookbooks all over the house. I wouldn't trade 'em for gold. One of these days I reckon I need to round 'em up and get/build a special bookcase for them. I use them at least as much as I do the internet.

I love cookbooks. I have a a ton of them. Read them constantly.

Cook from them? Rarely.

They give me ideas.

The ideas sometimes lead to internet searches for similar recipes.

I scan several, sometimes many, and sort of mix them based on what moves to me.

Source for my inspiration can be scanning food sites themselves, cooking shows, etc.

But the process is the same, I find a dish that intrigues me, and I use the internet to find several variations and incorporate what I like.

No, I really don't any more. I have my few favorites, with recipes I know I like. But I have easily several dozen cookbooks i've never used a recipe. I'm going to start to get rid of them.

I rarely use my books anymore.....in fact I don't even remember the last time. Before I moved and downsized, I had over 200 cookbooks and I either gave away or sold all but about 10 of them. I don't even miss them, as anything I want to make can be found on the internet with a lot less trouble and takes up zero space. I print out a recipe I want, and take it right to the kitchen without the hassle of an open book on the counter. All my inspiration comes from the internet anymore, and I like it that way.

Picture Cookbooks like "Pacific Northwest the Beautiful" and "Hot, Sour, Salty, Sweet" or " The French Laundry" and " Sharing the Vineyard Table" are little travelogues as well as cooking inspiration. I keep them at easy reach and I can't resist buying new picture cookbooks both for myself and as gifts. I also have a massive Cooking Class illustrated book with photos of nearly every technique but I admit I don't use that much.

I use the internet for recipes and research. Anything from on line that I really like gets printed and put in a binder that I refer to as "Tried it, Liked it". So I'd say my vote is for both.... depending on the situation!

You can have my cookbook when you wrench them from my cold, dead hands. Sure, I get recipes online, copy and paste, compare, refine, play cook...enjoy. But, my cookbooks...those are cherished.

As a matter of fact, I just ordered 5 more from Amazon.:chef:

Back
Top Bottom