Ketchup in aluminum?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skittle68

Sous Chef
I work at a restaurant, and we refill ketchup bottles from 114 oz aluminum cans. I never open a new one unless I have enough empty bottles to use the whole thing, because I always learned you never store tomato products in aluminum. Once it is exposed to the air, the ketchup will start to eat away at the can and make it taste "tinny" right? You can see it starting to turn black at the top after a couple days, where the ketchup touched the metal. This is because of oxidation, and is accelerated by the acid right? If someone knows the science behind it, could you explain it to me, or if I'm wrong, tell me so that my coworkers don't think I'm a crazy person when I tell them to quit leaving ketchup in the metal container lol

Nowadays, cans have a lining in them that prevent this from happening. Although the tin on the lids aren't lined, so, yes, you are having some chemical reaction taking place. At our restaurant, and any other one I have been involved in, we just pour the remainging stuff in a washed out salad dressing container. Cut a small hole in the lid and take it from there. Good luck!

114 oz cans? Up here in Canada they are 100 oz cans. You guys are weird.:wacko::LOL::)

I don't know the science of it specifically, but I agree with you. I never put anything acidic in metal, unless it is lined with teflon, enamel or similar.

I have heard that they started lining them in order to keep the acid from eating the can...One would presume in a time that food safety and health is taken into consideration that it would have been the safe thing to do. I kind of what to have an experiment now and test it out...if it wasn't cold enough to freeze the tomato product I could set a can, inside a larger can and set it out side..but its to damn cold.
I do know that the can does bring in a tin taste to things no matter what. You can really taste it (at least I know we can in my house) when a tomato product comes from the can and no other preparation is done to it.

Back
Top Bottom