Handles That Don't Get Hot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mollyanne

Flour Child
I can't find where this has been discussed although I'm sure it has. I'm sorry but I'm meeting my mother for lunch/shopping in two hours and need your advice asap as she wants to buy a small 8" omelette pan where the handles don't get hot. Her stove is electric with a smooth glass stovetop.
...oh, and did I mention she's cheap? Well, not like that. She's thrifty I should say. It should be rather inexpensive but not poor quality.

Thank you! I Love you guys!:chef:

Thank you justplainbill
(you're not just plain to us DCers)!
I've made a mental note.
And thank you for being so asap about it.

I can't find where this has been discussed although I'm sure it has. I'm sorry but I'm meeting my mother for lunch/shopping in two hours and need your advice asap as she wants to buy a small 8" omelette pan where the handles don't get hot. Her stove is electric with a smooth glass stovetop.
...oh, and did I mention she's cheap? Well, not like that. She's thrifty I should say. It should be rather inexpensive but not poor quality.

Thank you! I Love you guys!:chef:

One problem I've had lately is that the handle bracket is so heavy that the frying pan won't lay tightly flat against a burner. This results in uneven cooking. Check it out on a level surface before buying. Hope you have a fun day with Mom.:chef:

Well, Mother and I had a delicious salad for lunch...Moroccan-spiced chicken breast with crisp Romaine lettuce, roasted butternut squash, Medjool dates, fresh avocado, fresh beets, chopped egg, carrots, dried cranberries and red bell peppers. Tossed with champagne vinaigrette and toasted almonds at the California Pizza Kitchen.

Then we shopped for the perfect 8" stainless steel omelette pan. We hit
Macy's, William-Sonoma, Homegoods, and Target...looked for the brands mentioned here and gave it the balance test on flat a surface.

The rather snobby saleslady at William Sonoma insisted the ONLY appropriate pan for an omelette has a non-stick coating (was incensed that we called it "teflon" and corrected us promptly). Mother had only tunnel-vision for stainless but the saleslady was insistent...so no purchase there (just as well since prices were too high).

Macy's and Target didn't have a good selection for single stainless steel pieces (teflon was abundant). You either had to order online or buy sets for the most part. Mother wanted it "now" and only the one piece.

We lucked out finding one lone Tri-Ply Calphalon at Homegoods for $19.99. And we found the perfect stainless steel spatula at Target. Mother didn't want a long handle nor too stiff. Floppy rubber spatulas shred on the edge when heated. Ever notice that? I've been known to sand my down.

Phew. Done.
Well, she is keeping the receipt just in case she changes her mind :glare:

Mother is great...really, she is. A bit stubborn but ya gotta' luv her :heart:

Not a bad price, but if it passes the balance test, I'm sure she will be happy with it.

It sounds like you had a good day with Mom. Kind of exhausting, I'm sure, but sometimes you just need a good dose of Mom. Enjoy her while you can.

...Floppy rubber spatulas shred on the edge when heated. Ever notice that? I've been known to sand my down...

The edges aren't shredding, they're melting in the hot pan. You should consider getting silicone spatulas that won't melt at skillet temperatures.

AndyM said:
The edges aren't shredding, they're melting in the hot pan.
...yes, that's what I meant but when the melted edge cools it looks like flaking off pieces and can even get in your food over time.

I just talked to Mother and she's taking her stainless steel pan back today because the egg sticks to it too much she says...i knew it :glare::-p

...darned if that pushy saleslady at William Sonoma wasn't right :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I just talked to Mother and she's taking her stainless steel pan back today because the egg sticks to it too much she says...i knew it :glare::-p

Sounds familiar, like most mothers across America (including mine) and Ray Romano's TV mother Marie Barone.

...yes, that's what I meant but when the melted edge cools it looks like flaking off pieces and can even get in your food over time.

...darned if that pushy saleslady at William Sonoma wasn't right :rolleyes:

She was absolutely right. If she really wants to make omelettes or eggs, a nonstick pan is best. I have only one or two nonstick which I pretty much only use for eggs.

If you have a WS outlet nearby, they sell small Emerilware (made by AllClad) non-stick skillets for about $20.

And, like Andy said, consider a silicone spatula or spoonula. Metal utensils can scratch nonstick (and even stainless) surfaces.

Last edited:
Has anyone tried the Tupperware brand cookware? I've seen it but have not had a chance to use it personally. Any thoughts?

Has anyone tried the Tupperware brand cookware? I've seen it but have not had a chance to use it personally. Any thoughts?

I never heard of it, so I just looked it up. Wouldn't even consider buying it. It's priced as high or higher than AllClad, but it isn't even tri-ply. It's just disc bottom! Tupperware will be out of the pan business soon! Who's going to pay $180 for a single 3 quart saucepan with a disc bottom, when you can get an All Clad triply for less?

This guy is just here as a shill for tupperware. Four posts and all he's tried to do is sell his stuff. Can one of the mods get him out of here?

Last edited:
I am not trying to sell Tupperware. Honestly I am a new consultant that is interested in what people think of what I sell. I know the claims of the Tupperware cookware line, but don't own any. My questions may focus on the product line that I represent, but I have never asked or invited anyone to buy or consider buying from me.

I also don't want to seem like I am trying to "sneak" and do this either, which is why in a post I mentioned I am a consultant before asking for any opinions.

I also appreciate your candid opinion. I am considering purchasing some cookware in the near future and while of course I'd love to buy from myself, I wanted feedback from people not inclined to just tell me to go Tupperware.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom