What can I do with my box of crystal sugar?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlexR

Senior Cook
Hi,

I wasn't sure which forum to post this question in...

I have two boxes of crystal (not crystalized) sugar. This is like tiny bits of rock candy. I can't even remember why I bought it, but it has been hanging around for a while...

I have tried using it to sweeten hot drinks, but it unfortunately doesn't dissolve very well at all.

Any suggestions as to what I could use it for?

Best regards,
Alex R.

I use that type of sugar when making certain types of cookies... I roll the dough in the sugar before baking...

It's very, very pretty on top of cookies, muffins and fruit galettes! Like this:

Demerara%20Sugar%203358.jpg

Make your own caramel sauce for ice cream, or put it in hot drinks!

2 cups sugar
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 cup light corn syrup
1/3 cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
Dash salt

Heat all ingredients except vanilla to boiling in heavy 4-quart Dutch oven over medium heat, stirring constantly; reduce heat slightly.

Boil about 30 minutes, stirring frequently, until sugar is dissolved and mixture is light caramel colored.

Stir in vanilla. Cool about 30 minutes. Serve warm. Store covered in refrigerator up to 2 months. Reheat slightly before serving if desired.

If you want to try to cut out some of the fat, you could sub half and half, but I would caramelize the sugar, then add the half and half if you do that, or it might curdle from being boiled for that length of time. Otherwise, this caramel sauce is divine!! The darker you let it get, the thicker it will be. If you let it get fairly dark, it makes great caramel for dipping apples in too!

Use it as the sugar that is torched/caramelized over creme brulee.

Craig

You could make Humming Bird food.
All you need to make it is water and red food coloring. Having the feeder helps.

The Humming Birds get used to it being kept in one spot.
I've several that have made nests close by.

Munky.

Chef Munky said:
You could make Humming Bird food.
All you need to make it is water and red food coloring. Having the feeder helps.

The Humming Birds get used to it being kept in one spot.
I've several that have made nests close by.

Munky.

Great idea, just make sure the ratio of sugar to water is correct- they are fragile little creatures and can easily become dehydrated if the concentration of sugar is too high

Paint egg wash on top pie crust and sprinkle on the sugar before baking.

I think that "keep the humming bird feeder in one spot" is one of those old wives tales. =)~ Our hummers don't care where ours is, they always find it!

I think that "keep the humming bird feeder in one spot" is one of those old wives tales. =)~ Our hummers don't care where ours is, they always find it!

Though it is true that "they will always find it!" And they will. I've noticed that when they remember where the feeder normally is and return to it and it's been moved. They do look around in the area.

In my case for their benefit and my own, I move the feeders if the bee's and wasps are becoming a problem. So that's not exactly an " Old Wives tale."

Ours don't like it when we take them down to clean and don't put them back up right away. Sometimes I think they are going to stick their little bill in the window.

If you make your sugar cookies in the shape of a pretzle, the sugar looks like salt on top. Kind of fun!

licia said:
Ours don't like it when we take them down to clean and don't put them back up right away. Sometimes I think they are going to stick their little bill in the window.

Thats because if you feed them, there are more birds in the immediate area than the flowers can support, and hummingbirds need to eat constantly because of their super high metabolism. If you take away their food source, they are starving :/ If you choose to feed them you should be as consistent about it as you possibly can

I used 1/2 cup of it mixed with 4 tablespoons lemon juice and spread it on "Alix's Lemon Cake". Tasty

Back
Top Bottom