Subbing for Buttermilk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cmarchibald

Senior Cook
I have several recipes that call for buttermilk which, much to my dismay, I cannot buy here in the Philippines. I know I can just use regular milk to make my recipe....but is there a way to replicate the "buttermilk flavor"? I've tried melting some butter and cutting back the amount of regular milk to off-set the butter I've added but.....results were only so-so. Not bad, just not what I was hoping for.

Any other tricks I can try?

Buttermilk doesn't contain butter, so the name it totally misleading. What it is is the leftover liquid from the process of making butter which has a slightly sour taste to it.

So what you need to do is add some "tang" to your milk! It's super easy. Just add 1 T of lemon juice (or white vinegar) to 1 c milk and let it sit for about 5 minutes. ta da ~ buttermilk!

Another substitution I've used for buttermilk is to add about 1/4 c milk to 3/4 c plain yogurt.

Either work well; just use whichever you have on hand.

Last edited:
Buttermilk doesn't contain butter, so the name it totally misleading. What it is is the leftover liquid from the process of making butter which has a slightly sour taste to it.

So what you need to do is add some "tang" to your milk! It's super easy. Just add 1 T of lemon juice (or white vinegar) to 1 c milk and let it sit for about 5 minutes. ta da ~ buttermilk!

Another substitution I've used for buttermilk is to add about 1/4 c milk to 3/4 c plain yogurt.

I do fully stand stand by the lemon juice and milk thing.
While doing vegan recipes that called for it, I used the same approach with my Rice Milk..you don't notice a difference unless it's something like biscuits..then the only difference is color.

as for the yogurt, wouldnt greek style yogurt be a better way to go on that one?
bring in more of that Tang?

Can you get this product?

SACO FOODS Cultured Buttermilk Blend (Substitute for Buttermilk or Sour Milk in a recipe) (powdered buttermilk)
Buttermilk Conversions

When Recipe calls for
use this much
SACO Buttermilk Blend
use this much water
2 Tbsp. buttermilk
1 1/2 tsp. SACO Buttermilk Blend
2 Tbsp. water

1/4 cup buttermilk
1 Tbsp. SACO Buttermilk Blend
1/4 cup water

1/3 cup buttermilk
1 1/4 Tbsp. SACO Buttermilk Blend
1/3 cup water

1/2 cup Buttermilk
2 Tbsp. SACO Buttermilk Blend
1/2 cup water

2/3 cup Buttermilk
2 1/2 Tbsp. SACO Buttermilk Blend
2/3 cup water

3/4 cup Buttermilk
3 Tbsp. SACO Buttermilk Blend
3/4 cup water

1 cup Buttermilk
4 Tbsp. SACO Buttermilk Blend
1 cup water

(all measurements are level)

Usage instructions
First mix the dry Buttermilk Blend with the other dry ingredients. Then add the appropriate amount of water when the recipe calls for liquid buttermilk.

Inserted from <http://sacofoods.com/products/view/cultured-buttermilk>

Last edited:

:LOL: Well duh....that would explain why it didn't work. :blush:

Thanks for the tips. I'll try the lemon juice!

as for the yogurt, wouldnt greek style yogurt be a better way to go on that one? bring in more of that Tang?

That's what I usually have on hand, so yeah, Greek style works perfectly. It's a tad thicker than the regular kind though so you might need to change up the ratio a bit to get the right consistency. =)

Back
Top Bottom