Looking for a long lost recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gerald

Assistant Cook
My grandmother had a family housekeeper and cook. One of my favorite memories was an Applesause pie. Does anyone have such a recipe?

Welcome! I have never made an applesauce pie! I may have to try that one!

This might just be what Im looking for... only difference is she made her crust with graham crackers.. thank you

oooh I found a recipe for baking apples to make applesauce just the other night. This gives me another perfect excuse to make it. =) I like the idea of a graham cracker crust, too.

Baked Applesauce
Circle B Kitchen / Makes about 3 cups

3 lbs (8-9) baking apples (golden delicious, macintosh, granny smith, etc.)
Brown sugar to taste (about 1/4 cup)
Pinch of salt
¼ tsp ground cinnamon (or to taste)
2 to 3 tablespoons water, if needed

Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray 2 shallow baking pans with cooking spray.

Cut apples in half vertically and core them. (I use a melon-baller). Place the halves, cut side down on the baking sheets, cover tightly with aluminum foil.

Bake apples until tender, about 30-45 minutes. When cool enough to handle, slip fruits from their skins back into pan, scraping any pulp from peels. Discard skins.

While the apples are still warm, mash them with a fork (or leave chunky), stirring in some brown sugar, a pinch of salt, ground cinnamon and a bit of water (if needed) to help scrape up any brown bits in the pan and to lighten the texture of the applesauce. (Note: I've made this dozens of times and have never needed to add water).

Serve warm, room temperature, or cold.

And a trick I learned earlier last fall when I made an apple galette: use the peels and cores to make an apple flavored simple syrup!! Add enough water to cover generously and about half that much sugar. Bring to a boil and then simmer for about a half-hour. The syrup is great over apple desserts for an extra kick of apple taste, in oatmeal, in drinks! (mmmmm appletini), drizzled over roasted squash ...

Last edited:
I was intrigued by this recipe and ran right out to get what I needed... Since the recipe said "make sure the applesauce is sweet", I bought 6 different types of sweet apples, I also made sure I bought farm fresh eggs... I made the applesauce, let it cool, the proceeded to make the filling... I used 1 1/2 cups of applesauce, 1 1/2 cups of milk, and three eggs, since I knew that two cups or so of liquid would not fill up my pie shell...

The pie was good but i'm going to tweak it by using some tart apples, to give it a more applely flavor, and i'm taking the nutmeg out altogether, it made the pie taste like it was a pumpkin pie instead of apple... I think i'll try allspice instead... Over all it was a nice creamy pie that I think would be nice with some cranberries, incorporated into the cooking applesauce, for a Thanksgiving pie...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom