Who hoards food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Don't think I am a hoarder, but do keep my freezer and pantry pretty full. That darn Costco ;-) I end up buying the super size of so many things! I imagine we could live for a couple of months on what we keep on hand, except for fresh fruit and veg, which we have from the garden in season.

Sent from my iPhone using Cooking

I buy in threes...lets me get by for a couple of months on dry items. Saves me money ans time. I suppose we could survive for a couple of months with what's in the pantry and freezer. But, I'm not a hoarder and not planning for impending doom.

I buy in threes...lets me get by for a couple of months on dry items. Saves me money ans time. I suppose we could survive for a couple of months with what's in the pantry and freezer. But, I'm not a hoarder and not planning for impending doom.

This pretty much describes me, I keep the pantry well stocked. Have two freezers that are full. Have a garden and put lots of fresh veggies in the freezer. I use very little proccessed food. DH is diabetic and I try to use as much fresh food as possible. I buy meat once a month. I am not a Hoarder. I share stuff from the garden and the freezer. To me the glass is always half full. :lucky:

Josie

...I don't overdue it only because only 2 people in my household. Although I must admit, when my family expands stockpiling like this makes more and more sen$e:

img_967402_0_ddc7da61f264368e8914540777e93349.jpg

6153d1268076833-foggierbard9s-stockpile-img_3453.jpg

Holy mackerel! If you have this much stuff for a family of two, you ARE overdoing it!

Can you manage to use all those items before their expiration dates?

^Oh no I'm sorry I wasn't clear...that is NOT my garage...but if my family were bigger I could see the benefit and would try to get a stockpile around that size...using coupons most of that stuff was probably free or very cheap.

FH would probably have me committed if I pulled that!

^ nice shelves!

My mom made us all preppers during the Cuban Missile crises.

I try and keep several months worth of food on hand for an emergency. It could be a natural disaster,human or economic.

I also try and keep about 6 flats of bottled water on hand and rotate them.

I have a generator too that I had to plug my freezer into once when we had an outage.I bought it for my travel trailer we call the escape pod.I can have it loaded and on the road in an hour.

^Oh no I'm sorry I wasn't clear...that is NOT my garage...but if my family were bigger I could see the benefit and would try to get a stockpile around that size...using coupons most of that stuff was probably free or very cheap.

FH would probably have me committed if I pulled that!
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Okay now it makes a lot more sense!

I don't know exactly how long they will be good, however we had a discussion here recently about how occasionally a pot of beans or split peas will never cook up no matter how long they are cooked. The conclusion was that they were "too old". How old is too old? Beats me. :D

And remember, canned goods aren't good forever either.

I have heard there are a few options with old beans:

You can cook and freeze. Freezing helps crack the bean skin making it easier to cook until softened.

You can boil the beans for 2 minutes, then use 3/8 teaspoon of baking soda per cup of beans and soak. Rinse before cooking.

Pressure cooking helps get old beans cooked in less time.

Or you can grind the beans and use as flour, or to thicken soups or sauces. Cracked beans will cook in less time.

thanks i will remember that, i just picked up another 50# of rice and 2 cases of canned corn and beans.

Lol I rather refer to it as stockpiling. :LOL:

I use coupons religiously so when I come across a good deal, I stock up. I mostly keep processed foods that I normally wouldn't pay for and stock up when I can get them for free. Right now I have chips (~8 bags), candy (~15-20), canned soups and veggies (15), hot cocoa (7), organic peanut butter (5), jelly (5), cereal (6), gatorade (~40) rice, bbq sauces, ketchup, salad dressings and a few other randoms (toothpaste, toothbrushes, deodorant, tampons) I get free after coupons so I do have a drawer full of each.

I don't overdue it only because only 2 people in my household. Although I must admit, when my family expands stockpiling like this makes more and more sen$e:

img_970584_0_ddc7da61f264368e8914540777e93349.jpg

6153d1268076833-foggierbard9s-stockpile-img_3453.jpg

at one point I did have about 70 cans of cat food but lol Wellness is expensive and after coupons I was getting them for .25 a can...normally $1.25 so had to stock up!! When I can get cat treats and Tidy Cat free, I buy as many bags as possible so I guess I stockpile that too.

It saves me a lot of money *shrug*

thats a very impressive stash, i dont care what you want to call it but it is defined as a hoard and you are a hoarder.

thats a very impressive stash, i dont care what you want to call it but it is defined as a hoard and you are a hoarder.

In your opinion.:mad:

When stocking up to save money and you have plenty of storage space, I'd call that thrifty.

My experience with peas and beans. I store them in the freezer to extend shelf life.

Hoarding has a negative connotation.
It has 'spin'.
Prepper also has a negative connotation. More spin.

I applaud the efforts of those that are frugal and plan ahead!

The largest volume we ever purchase in is a "Wholesale" sized package from BJ's. So 3-packs of Ketchup, or 12-packs of paper towels, etc.

We probably keep 5-pounds of AP flour on hand, half a dozen boxes of pasta, and a couple pounds of 4-5 different types of rice. A few pounds of cornmeal... basically enough to belt out 3-4 recipes based on a particular staple.

Meat and produce we almost always buy as needed for maximum freshness. The exception is some preserved items such as jams and canned tomatoes which we might buy half a dozen of to have on hand (the jam we buy multiples of because it's only available a few months of the year from a local farm).

I think keeping a pantry is a great idea, but certainly anything can be taken to an extreme.

I like to have some stuff stockpiled. I buy in quantity at Costco and when stuff is on special.

I remember the Cuban Missile Crisis. We sailed through with only milk running out. The shelves in the grocery stores were absolutely bare. My mum had a reasonable stockpile. Also, a friend of mine had to be prepared to go several weeks without shopping every spring. The river would flood her road. Luckily, she got milk and eggs helicoptered in because she had kids. But, all kinds of things can happen to keep you from getting food.

We bought this:
IMG_2126.JPG

right after the 1998 ice storm. We were without power for eight days and our stove is electric. It uses propane, so we can use it indoors. It has come in handy a few times.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom