Who hoards food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

97guns

Senior Cook
i am a prepper and the way things are going right now in the world ive been extemly active lately. i have lots of grains, pastas, beans, canned veggies and meats. i also have a garden that does pretty well, just wondering if anyone here buys and hoards food in preparation for an event or just trying to outpace inflation. also curious as to what kinds of foods you might be hoarding.

Nope, I don't hoard food. I guess I should be better prepared for a disaster, but aside from having several gallons of drinking water, I suppose I have enough food on hand to last a couple of weeks if we were careful.
I think we all remember how crazy it got with the food hoarders when the year 2000 was near........:wacko:
I guess I've always been an optimist.

Interesting topic though, and I'll be interested to hear what other members have to say. Welcome to DC.

By the way, don't keep those dried beans for years.......they'll never cook.

I don't hoard, but I do focus more on local foods and being more self-sufficient. It is more for health and eco-reasons though.

Like Kayelle, I'm pretty optimistic.

Hoard? Well, I never called it that but I do buy a years worth of canned goods when they go on sale in the fall and the freezer is literally overflowing with frozen goods, mostly meat that has been on sale lately. But I don't do it because of any expected disasters, I do it for the dollar savings. I shouldn't have to buy anything but fresh stuff like produce and milk for the rest of the winter.

Last edited:
i am a prepper and the way things are going right now in the world ive been extemly active lately. i have lots of grains, pastas, beans, canned veggies and meats. i also have a garden that does pretty well, just wondering if anyone here buys and hoards food in preparation for an event or just trying to outpace inflation. also curious as to what kinds of foods you might be hoarding.

Welcome to DC. Good question.

I have a well stocked kitchen, but the only extras I keep on hand are just so I don't run out before I can go shopping. If I had to live on what I have, I'm sure I could easily manage a month, but I live alone.

i could live on what i have in pantry and freezer for at least two months or more. i am always buying this or that to add to what i have for a differant dish. at the moment i have at least 15 kinds of cake mix. then all of a sudden i will have none. i have that many because i bought when they were really low in price. most will be used in recipes rather than just a cake mix cake. i buy many times on the buy one get one free deals. that tends to fill up my pantry. hoarder, i don't think so, not enough room to be a hoarder. lol

i could live on what i have in pantry and freezer for at least two months or more. i am always buying this or that to add to what i have for a differant dish. at the moment i have at least 15 kinds of cake mix. then all of a sudden i will have none. i have that many because i bought when they were really low in price. most will be used in recipes rather than just a cake mix cake. i buy many times on the buy one get one free deals. that tends to fill up my pantry. hoarder, i don't think so, not enough room to be a hoarder. lol

I certainly wouldn't think of you as a hoarder, you make cakes often, I noticed, so having plenty on hand would make sense.

I don't have a lot of room either, but it works well enough. I judge what I'm going to need between shopping trips, and because those trips tend to be scattered, I've learned to keep a spare of things like mayo, coffee, creamer, etc. I like a variety of beans and pastas to choose from, but they get pretty well rotated.

Whenever I get too much of something (like from the Commodities box), I take the box with the extras downstairs to the common room and just mark the box, "Help Yourself." Someone will want them, and I don't end up with 8 cans of carrots taking up space in my cabinet!:LOL:

how long will they keep? what about lentils?

I don't know exactly how long they will be good, however we had a discussion here recently about how occasionally a pot of beans or split peas will never cook up no matter how long they are cooked. The conclusion was that they were "too old". How old is too old? Beats me. :D

And remember, canned goods aren't good forever either.

I don't hoard, but I do stock up on foods when I can get a good deal on them. I have a big freezer, so I can stock up on meats and frozen vegetables, as well as grains and flour.

Speaking of meat, I sure hope they have some deals on meat at the store tomorrow. I had to pick a few things up tonight, and the meat cases were almost bare. Most of what was there was not very low priced.

:)Barbara

i am a prepper and the way things are going right now in the world ive been extemly active lately.

Maybe a little definition, please? What do you mean by 'prepper'? My understanding is that people are preparing for nuclear holocaust, famine, war, government takeovers, etc. I could be real wrong in this, but Google searches seem to support that preppers are survivalists preparing for natural disasters and terrorist attacks.

Is that what you're asking? If we are hoarding in preparation for an apocalypse of sorts?

Lol I rather refer to it as stockpiling. :LOL:

I use coupons religiously so when I come across a good deal, I stock up. I mostly keep processed foods that I normally wouldn't pay for and stock up when I can get them for free. Right now I have chips (~8 bags), candy (~15-20), canned soups and veggies (15), hot cocoa (7), organic peanut butter (5), jelly (5), cereal (6), gatorade (~40) rice, bbq sauces, ketchup, salad dressings and a few other randoms (toothpaste, toothbrushes, deodorant, tampons) I get free after coupons so I do have a drawer full of each.

I don't overdue it only because only 2 people in my household. Although I must admit, when my family expands stockpiling like this makes more and more sen$e:

img_967325_0_ddc7da61f264368e8914540777e93349.jpg

6153d1268076833-foggierbard9s-stockpile-img_3453.jpg

at one point I did have about 70 cans of cat food but lol Wellness is expensive and after coupons I was getting them for .25 a can...normally $1.25 so had to stock up!! When I can get cat treats and Tidy Cat free, I buy as many bags as possible so I guess I stockpile that too.

It saves me a lot of money *shrug*

Last edited:
I've used my Dehydrator for beans and lentils that had been stored a while. They were just fine when cooked.

Like a lot of people I prefer to be prepared. But not hoard food to the point that if the freezer goes your stuck with bad meat. Canned goods that you can't eat. Or having food stored over flowing the cabinets that it's put on the floor. Attracting who knows what.. That's just gross.

Should things get that bad in the world. I suppose you could use your excess to barter with. Save the good stuff for ammo :LOL:

I've used my Dehydrator for beans and lentils that had been stored a while. They were just fine when cooked.

Like a lot of people I prefer to be prepared. But not hoard food to the point that if the freezer goes your stuck with bad meat. Canned goods that you can't eat. Or having food stored over flowing the cabinets that it's put on the floor. Attracting who knows what.. That's just gross.

Should things get that bad in the world. I suppose you could use your excess to barter with. Save the good stuff for ammo :LOL:

I don't understand. What is the difference between the bottom shelve of the cabinet and the floor???? What would the food attract that can't make it into the cabinet?????

I use coupons religiously so when I come across a good deal, I stock up. I mostly keep processed foods that I normally wouldn't pay for and stock up when I can get them for free. Right now I have chips (~8 bags), candy (~15-20), canned soups and veggies (15), hot cocoa (7), organic peanut butter (5), jelly (5), cereal (6), gatorade (~40) rice, bbq sauces, ketchup, salad dressings and a few other randoms (toothpaste, toothbrushes, deodorant, tampons) I get free after coupons so I do have a drawer full of each.

I don't overdue it only because only 2 people in my household. Although I must admit, when my family expands stockpiling like this makes more and more sen$e:

img_967336_0_ddc7da61f264368e8914540777e93349.jpg

at one point I did have about 70 cans of cat food but lol Wellness is expensive and after coupons I was getting them for .25 a can...normally $1.25 so had to stock up!! When I can get cat treats and Tidy Cat free, I buy as many bags as possible so I guess I stockpile that too.

You are cordially invited to come organize my life. Closets, cabinets, etc. :ermm: I need to seriously de-clutter.

I think I walk the fine line between stocking and hoarding. It's not because of fears of impending disaster, it's more to do with spending half my life living in a foreign country and the stores I shop in frequently running out of things for months at a time. So if I see something I know I *might* need in the next couple of months, I'll buy it. If I'm out of something I use somewhat regularly, I buy 5 or 10, so that I have them when I need them.

It may look like hoarding but it (mostly) gets used eventually.
img_967337_0_4ebda04edb81f52526918cd3407ab16a.gif

img_967338_0_ddc7da61f264368e8914540777e93349.jpg

img_967338_2_cdaa7e33654dc520a30bff90be4e427e.gif

You could teach the grocers in the Philippines a thing or ten.

It looks like a mini grocery! :D

As for me, like Marchi. I buy things or food that sometimes are out for months. Produce, meats, poultry and dairy can be bought on a regular basis but, canned items can also be store but not a lot. :(
I love fresh foods so, as possible i want to buy those are fresh only. :D

Back
Top Bottom