Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   General Cooking (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Favorite Mac and cheese recipe? (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f17/favorite-mac-and-cheese-recipe-70094.html)

CWS4322 02-09-2011 01:32 PM

Favorite Mac and cheese recipe?

It's cold here. I am craving mac and cheese. This was something that came from a box when I was growing up--I have a "void" re: how to make it from scratch. I like mine with some "hot" so am thinking of adding jalepeno peppers and onions, dash of Frank's Red sauce. I am thinking the cheese sauce would be nice re: philly cheese, shredded cheddar (don't have any monterey jack), evap. milk, a bit of flour to thicken. Baked--maybe topped with seasoned bread crumbs.

I like a creamy mac and cheese. Anyone have what they claim would be the "best ever" mac and cheese recipe (no canned soups, please or velveeta or american cheese--don't have those--don't eat those).

Thanks!

Zhizara 02-09-2011 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CWS4322 (Post 967451)
It's cold here. I am craving mac and cheese. This was something that came from a box when I was growing up--I have a "void" re: how to make it from scratch. I like mine with some "hot" so am thinking of adding jalepeno peppers and onions, dash of Frank's Red sauce. I am thinking the cheese sauce would be nice re: philly cheese, shredded cheddar (don't have any monterey jack), evap. milk, a bit of flour to thicken. Baked--maybe topped with seasoned bread crumbs.

I like a creamy mac and cheese. Anyone have what they claim would be the "best ever" mac and cheese recipe (no canned soups, please or velveeta or american cheese--don't have those--don't eat those).

Thanks!

Mac & Cheese and Pimento Cheese can be many flavors. I like some softened cream cheese, Colby/Jack is very flavorful. Parmessan gives it a nice kick/bite. Cheddar can be mild or sharp. Play with different cheeses. Use lots of different kinds together. YUMMY!

Kayelle 02-09-2011 02:18 PM

Quote:

I like mine with some "hot"
CWS, I made mac and cheese the other day and added some canned chunky salsa, then topped it with buttered panko bread crumbs. Turned out really good.

I've made Martha Stewarts famous M&C and the recipe is excellent...

http://www.marthastewart.com/article...oni-and-cheese

FincaPerlitas 02-10-2011 11:29 AM

I don't really use a recipe. I make it often enough that I just wing it, but Alton Brown's recipe is very close to the way I make it: Alton Brown's Baked Macaroni And Cheese Recipe - Food.com - 107712 .

I don't care for breadcrumb topping so I leave it out and just top it with grated cheese. To kick it up, I'd use a little cayenne pepper (about 1/8 teaspoon should do it) or red pepper flakes (1/4 teaspoon or so). Be sure not to leave out the dry mustard. It also gives a little kick, and is important to the overall flavor. You can also add a little worchestershire sauce if you like (1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon).

Use a decent quality sharp cheddar. Kraft's Cracker Barrel (gold label) is fine, you don't need to break the bank.

velochic 02-11-2011 07:40 AM

I don't personally care for the man, himself, as he is like nails on a chalkboard to me, but I have to say that Emeril's 4 cheese Mac N Cheese is just about the best I've ever made. I do not make any substitutions for the cheeses. I use authentic Gruyere, Fontina, Sharp Wisconsin Cheddar (our favorite comes from Cedar Grove in Southwest WI and it can be ordered online) and Parmigiano-Reggiano. The hot sauce (I use Frank's) gives it just the right amount of heat. This is a fattening favorite in our house, especially of my dd's. We don't eat highly processed frankenfood either.

Macaroni with 4 Cheeses! Recipe : Emeril Lagasse : Food Network

Linda123 02-11-2011 08:24 AM

I use evaporated milk to make a creamy mac & cheese.

Zhizara 02-11-2011 08:29 AM

I use a can of cream soup, usually chicken or celery, to melt the cheeses in.

Evaporated milk works fine and adds a creaminess, milk too, just don't use so much that your cheese sauce is too thin.

If your sauce is too thin, the cheese will puddle in the bottom and not stick to the macaroni.

pacanis 02-11-2011 09:00 AM

I like that idea, Z.

BigAL 02-11-2011 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pacanis (Post 967963)
I like that idea, Z.

+1

Cream of mushroom sounds good to me.

Zhizara 02-11-2011 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pacanis (Post 967963)
I like that idea, Z.

The time I made that mistake, I corrected it by adding more and more cheese, but the good thing is that I ended up with a double batch of cheese sauce and had enough for other dishes.

Since then, I try for a double batch, adding in only half to the macaroni and mixing it up to make sure I have enough, then save the rest. If I don't use it within a few days, I freeze it.:chef: