Heating Bolillo Buns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nikkit65

Assistant Cook
What's the best way to re-heat bolillo buns. I want them to be soft, not hard like French bread? Any suggestions?

The microwave will turn bread on the wrong side of fresh soft again, but you need to eat it right away, while it's still warm.
I just finished my last bolillo bun this morning with a piece of sausage and some sauce.

ETA: it doesn't take much, ten seconds or so.

No. My microwave is more convenient.
I've cooked bread over steam before though, Polish yeast dumplings.

Not microwave, it will make them too soft and/or too rubbery. Turn your oven on really, really high. 450 or so, and get it completely pre-heated. Then put them right on the rack, and stay right there. It will only take a minute, seriously. This will give you the nice crispy crust with the soft interior. I slice them before putting them in if I'm making a sandwich with them.

They are great for Cuban sandwiches as well.

Last edited:
When I am trying to unhard bread I generally use a damp paper towl to make some steam in the microwave.

One problem I have found with microwave heated bread is if you over do it when it cools it becomes a brick.

When I am trying to unhard bread I generally use a damp paper towl to make some steam in the microwave.

One problem I have found with microwave heated bread is if you over do it when it cools it becomes a brick.

And that is exactly why I said to eat them quickly and not overnuke it :angel:

Claire, the oven will crisp the crust. The OP was going for a soft crust like is typical of bolillo rolls. The oven is certainly a good way to warm bread though, even if it does dry it out some.

Oh, yes. I really don't know what the rolls are supposed to be like, only that the ones I get here have a sort of crispy out, soft in. They very much remind me of the brochen I ate as a kid in Germany. So I go for that thin crisp outside, soft inside. I also, though, use them for Cuban sandwiches. They are perfect for that! Now, remember, I live in a very small town in the Midwest and am making do with what I can get, AND I need to have a carb count on stuff for my husband (in other words, I can find better bread, but no carb count, and bread is the bane of my existence when it comes to that!).

I never thought of using them for pressed Cubans. What a great idea.

Back
Top Bottom