Greek yogurt for sour cream in cooking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sprout

Sous Chef
I have substituted regular and Greek yogurt for sour cream many times in dips and other cold dishes, but I don't know how well yogurt holds up to heat. Can it be used in cooked dishes as well?
I really want to try a baked fish recipe this afternoon that calls for sour cream (added before cooking) but I only have Greek yogurt. Has anyone tried this? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I'll have to start it soon if I want to be able to take some to work with me.

Thanks in advance!

Sorry, I realized that mentioning how it will be used might be helpful.

The yogurt would be mixed with cheese, mayo, onion, seasonings, and a bit of flour before being spread on the fish and then baked.

I don't have personal experience with this, but there is another current thread talking about this. betterthanabox says that she bakes with it. I was just trying to figure out why the greek is better than the usual yogurt. You might want to check out that thread if you don't get your answer soon. By the way...a new avitar sprouted up. Cute. Who is the little sprout?

Even with sour cream, one important "trick" is to first let the milk product get to room temp, and then take the pot off of the burner and let it get down to room temp or close to it, before adding the milk product. It's less likely to "break" if you aren't adding cold to hot. But I cannot say I've had a huge amount of luck with it. Let us know if you try it and how it went.

I just realized that it may not be a new avitar??? Well anyway, cute!

Thanks for the tip, Claire!

Chopper, thank you, I'll have to check out the other thread. Greek is thicker and I find often has a slightly milder tang. I believe it's just yogurt that's been strained, not to the point of yogurt cheese, but closer to the consistency of sour cream (a little looser). You can make it at home from regular plain yogurt pretty easily with a strainer and some cheese cloth or a tea towel. The little sprout is my daughter, all caked up at her first birthday. Thanks! It's been up for a few months, but I haven't been on very often for a while.

Thanks for the tip, Claire!

Chopper, thank you, I'll have to check out the other thread. Greek is thicker and I find often has a slightly milder tang. I believe it's just yogurt that's been strained, not to the point of yogurt cheese, but closer to the consistency of sour cream (a little looser). You can make it at home from regular plain yogurt pretty easily with a strainer and some cheese cloth or a tea towel. The little sprout is my daughter, all caked up at her first birthday. Thanks! It's been up for a few months, but I haven't been on very often for a while.

How is the other Sprout, sprout doing? Still getting morning sickness?;)

Yeah, the morning sickness is hanging on, but it's better than it was. I still can't go near red meat, but I've successfully cooked poultry recently. I'm still not doing much real cooking all that often. Strong smells, even good ones, still bother me. I'm officially out of the first trimester at the end of this week, though, so hopefully it will continue to fade. As far as we know the baby's doing well. I'm starting to show more, so the baby must be growing!

Yeah, the morning sickness is hanging on, but it's better than it was. I still can't go near red meat, but I've successfully cooked poultry recently. I'm still not doing much real cooking all that often. Strong smells, even good ones, still bother me. I'm officially out of the first trimester at the end of this week, though, so hopefully it will continue to fade. As far as we know the baby's doing well. I'm starting to show more, so the baby must be growing!

Good to hear! Take care and keep us up to date!:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom