Meat loaf

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Meatloaf is one of those dishes where the ingredients on-hand dictates what goes into it. Besides mac & cheese, I would consider meatloaf to the the most typical American Workingman Classic than anything else.

I've used regular ground beef, ground chuck, ground turkey, ground lamb or any combination thereof, but always included a small portion of ground pork in order to keep it moist. The ground meat is mixed with shredded bread, cracker crumbs or bread crumbs. I use crushed saltine crackers laced with 1/4 cup of Italian bread crumbs... but that's me. Also mix two or three eggs for a binder, chopped onion, garlic or whatever spices and herbs you like. My personal preference is to include a splash of Worcestershire sauce and/or BBQ sauce.

The whole thing is mixed together by hand in a large bowl then pressed into a loaf pan that has been treated with non-stick. The loaf is then topped with tomato paste or catsup or BBQ sauce. I bake mine at 350F for about 45 minutes, but whatever works for you.

The following day I often slice any leftover and make a sandwich.

Enjoy.

Last edited:
hello,

Do you guys know a recipe to cook Meat loaf the american way ?

thank in advance.

I use 1 1/2 pounds of ground beef - lean so there's less fat dripping off, 1 can of diced tomatos, 1 can of mushrooms, 1/2 cup chopped onion, 1 egg, enough bread crumbs to hold it together. salt/pepper/garlic powder. Mix all that together and I use a 9x13 baking dish to form a big loaf, and bake at 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes. You can really make meatloaf out of whatever you want - I sometimes put pre browned pork sausage in it if I have it on hand.

Meatloaf is one of those dishes where the ingredients on-hand dictates what goes into it. Besides mac & cheese, I would consider meatloaf to the the most typical American Workingman Classic than anything else.

I've used regular ground beef, ground chuck, ground turkey, ground lamb or any combination thereof, but always included a small portion of ground pork in order to keep it moist. The ground meat is mixed with shredded bread, cracker crumbs or bread crumbs. I use crushed saltine crackers laced with 1/4 cup of Italian bread crumbs... but that's me. Also mix two or three eggs for a binder, chopped onion, garlic or whatever spices and herbs you like. My personal preference is to include a splash of Worcestershire sauce and/or BBQ sauce.

The whole thing is mixed together by hand in a large bowl then pressed into a loaf pan that has been treated with non-stick. The loaf is then topped with tomato paste or catsup or BBQ sauce. I bake mine at 350F for about 45 minutes, but whatever works for you.

The following day I often slice any leftover and make a sandwich.

Enjoy.

I like to brown the leftover slices on low heat to warm through as well as brown the outside, and serve over warmed salsa (spread some on a plate and nuke for30 seconds).

Top salsa with browned meatloaf slices. This is exceptionally good with a taco seasoning packet and leftover cornbread filler that I keep frozen for this purpose. (When I make cornbread, I eat half and freeze half, then add another box of cornbread mix to my grocery list.):chef:

Meatloaf is brown for me. I never cared for the kind with tomato paste or ketchup smeared on top, but I do like ketchup on the side sometimes. I love meatloaf. It's like a giant meatball with the ingredients, but looser in texture. And I believe there is a recipe here using onion soup mix, stoufers stovetop stuffing and an incredible amount of cheddar cheese that is out of this world.

Oh--I can't remember the name of the store in CT from which I got this recipe...but basically you make your meatloaf, put 1/2 of it in the loaf pan, then you put a layer of spinach and then some grated cheese (I want to say moz) and then put the other 1/2 of the meat mixture, and then you top it with more cheese and some salsa. I make it using my usual meatloaf "recipe" and then put the spinach/swiss chard/kale in between the two meat layers with cheese (depends on what I have on hand re: the greens and what I have re: cheese). I use my homemade salsa. Very nice.

Back
Top Bottom