Broccoli rehydrated from dried

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

n2cookin

Senior Cook
We used some of my dehydrated broccoli in a dinner side dish. It was a packaged side dish of broccoli and rice. But they never seem to have anything in them but broccoli crumbs. So I rehydrated a 1/2 cup of my dehydrated broccoli and tossed it in. It was really good. The rehydrated broccoli even had some density, tooth, or texture to it. Not like a fresh piece but not mushy in anyway. It was definately the star ingredient in the side dish. It was the first time I used any dehydrated broccoli in cooking. We will definately be using this more often.

I dehydrate my broccoli after blanching to keep the dark green color.

How do you do it? I buy those bags as well and want more broccoli. I just got a dehydrator, but don't know how to use it.

I cut broccoli off the stalk leaving a small stalk with each head. If some heads are larger I will slice themin half. I drop them into boiling water to blanch, usually only about 30 seconds to a minute. I take them out of the boiling water and put into a bowl filled with ice and water. That stops the cooking process. This is all done to keep the broccoli a nice green color when dried. If you don't blanch it then it will turn brown when you dehydrate it.
I have an exaliber and I use every other tray if they are too tall for each tray to slide in. After dehydrating I store them in glass jars with lids that I vacume seal with a jar lid attachment.

I rehydrate by covering about 1/2 cup broccoli with boiling water until hydrated, then add to the side dish while it is cooking.

A really good source for how to dehydrate videos that I use a lot is called.
www.dehydrate2store.com She has done some nice videos and recipes on using the dried foods.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom