Popovers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LAJ

Senior Cook
I am posting my popover recipe in case someone wants to try it.
They never fail me.:chef:

2 eggs
1 cup milk (not less than 2%)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon cooking oil

Place eggs in bowl/add milk/flour/and salt
Beat 1 and 1/2 minutes with electric mixer
Add cooking oil and beat mixture for 30 seconds more
(Do not overbeat)
Fill 6-8 well-greased popover tins or custard cups 1/2 full
Bake at 475* for 15 minutes
Reduce heat to 350* and bake until browned and firm
(25-30 minutes longer)
A few minutes before removing from oven prick popovers with a fork to let steam escape
If you like popovers dry and crisp turn off oven and leave popovers in oven 10 minutes with door ajar
Serve hot.
Yield: 6-8 popovers

Sadly, this is the same recipe I use and with the exception of greasing the cups (I put a small bit of butter in the bottoms and heat it up with the pan), the same process. I learned to make these a long time ago from my grandmother and have had wonderful success up to about 4 years ago when they stopped popping. It makes me sad ...

popovers

Sadly, this is the same recipe I use and with the exception of greasing the cups (I put a small bit of butter in the bottoms and heat it up with the pan), the same process. I learned to make these a long time ago from my grandmother and have had wonderful success up to about 4 years ago when they stopped popping. It makes me sad ...

I wonder why you have no success with your recipe now? I do spray the tins completely as they tend to stick. But, never had a problem

I have no idea ... When I learned, my grandmother told me not to oil the cups so the batter could climb. When I started to have problems, I started a thread here and had a lot of recommendations to oil the cups so I started doing it. Since then, I've had them work once or twice but that's it. The other thing is the use of a piloted pan. I learned using muffin tins ... I don't know.

I made another batch of popovers but this time I only used a half cup of batter in each cup. They did turn out better but still not perfect.

I'm going to give them a try this morning in my POPOVER pan, not my piloted pan. Good grief auto-correct!

Glad you had more success Joe!

Back
Top Bottom