What to do with pork hocks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Idea 1. Though it's similar to a soup, it isn't soup. It's called New England Boiled Dinner and involves usually ham, or beef, though I've had it made with venison as well, big chunks of potatoes, cabbage leaves, chopped carrot, and onion. Season with salt and pepper.

For your ham hocks, place two ham hocks into a large pan along with two potatoes, cut into four pieces per spud, four carrots, peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks, 1/2 head of gree cabbage, with the leaves seperated, 1 onion, quartered, and enough water to cover. Bring to a boil and let simmer for 45 minutes. Remove the ham hocks and take the meat off of the bone. Dice and add back to the boiled dinner.

You can either strain the broth out to be used with other meals, or leave it and serve everything in bowls.

Idea 2. Cut the meat from the ham hocks and dice. Add between layers of scalloped potatoes.

Idea 3. Cut the meat from the ham hock and finely dice. Combine with a mixture of 1/2 lb. melted cheddar cheese 1/2 lb. cream cream cheese. 2 tbs. minced onion and a dash of garlic. Let cool and form into a ball. Roll in slivered almonds. Serve with good crackers.

Idea 4. Cut the meat from the ham hock and mince. Add sweet pickle relish, and Miracle Whip salad dressing. Stir together to make sandwich spread.

5. Remove from the bone, dice, and add to quiche.

That should get you started.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

If they're smoked, I'd say turnip/mustard/collard greens and pinto beans. Serve 'em up with a big skillet of cornbread. If they're not smoked, I'd cook them with some sauerkraut.

Thanks Kathleen. Give me a big ol mess o greens with some pinto beans and cornbread and I'm a happy camper.:pig:

go for the boiled dinner - cabage potatoes carrots onion etc
love in the scallop potatoes too.
I like to boil them up and use for sandwhiches. best tasting
I save the broth from boiling them, freeze it 1/2 cup -put into freezer bags and use it for flavoring soup or lil in cooking veggies.

note on freezing bags: I put in the bags - get all the air out - and then lay flat on a cookie sheet till frozen - they take up less room then plastic containers.

Thanks Kathleen. Give me a big ol mess o greens with some pinto beans and cornbread and I'm a happy camper.:pig:

My favorites are greens or any kind of dried beans. Save the bones for stock, put the meat back in the pot.:chef:

Zhizara and Mama - Great minds think alike. I love that kind of meal!

Red beans and rice on Monday of course!;)

Craig

Are you related to Aunt Lucy? She always said it was a most proper thing to have!

I save the broth from boiling them, freeze it 1/2 cup -put into freezer bags and use it for flavoring soup or lil in cooking veggies.

note on freezing bags: I put in the bags - get all the air out - and then lay flat on a cookie sheet till frozen - they take up less room then plastic containers.

YUM!

Now I'm so hungry!

Not that I know of, but it is a NOLA tradition I believe.

Craig

Or put in containers, pop out the next day and put in a bag or several bags. I like to freeze in containers that will hold 2 cups of liquid, perfect for rice.

Last edited:
oop that was suppose to say 1 to 2 cups not 1/2 cup guess my brain isn't working with my fingers.
I like the to add ham broth to my red beans and rice or even jambala or paella

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom