What is likely to be wrong with this nutella?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ravich

Assistant Cook
It isnt that old but it has these little pearly grains in it. They arent just on the surface, as we can see them if we look on the bottom of the jar. Any idea what this might be? Should we just toss it?

How long have you had it? If you just opened it you could return it to the store.

Did you refrigerate or microwave it? I don't know if either of those would cause that, but it says not to refrigerate or microwave it.

:)Barbara

If you haven't had it a long time, return it to the store. The stuff isn't cheap, and when it's in good shape, it's worth it.

It has been some time, if anyone else has this problem:
Hold off eating it.
I would contact the company. They may have more information about the product grains. I have never experinced grainy texture in the Nutella. Their email address is: consumercare@ferrero.com.

Last edited:
How long have you had it? If you just opened it you could return it to the store.

Did you refrigerate or microwave it? I don't know if either of those would cause that, but it says not to refrigerate or microwave it.

:)Barbara

Wow, I didn't know that and mine is in the refrigerator. :ohmy:

It sounds to me like the sugar may have crystalized. If so, it's completely harrmless and heating it in a water bath will dissolve the crystals. This happens frequently with products such as maple syrup and honey.

However, I agree that contacting the company is a good idea and I fully subscribe to the philosophy "when in doubt, throw it out".

Yes i've seen this before and it's probably as Fincaperlitas said and is sugar crystals.

Back
Top Bottom