Cultivating mushrooms?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
I really, really miss being able to harvest morel mushrooms. I have been looking for "mushroom" kits for morels. I'm not sure I understand the stuff re: the plugs, etc. Do any of you grow mushrooms?

I don't but I did see an episode of Martha Stewart where they talked about growing mushrooms in your home. I think they used oak logs. Maybe you can google it.

I saw an episode of Martha Stewart where they grew mushrooms and I found this on line. You can probably find something about morels too.
1x1.gif

6038_110410_mushroom_log_l.jpg

Grow delicious and nutritious shiitake mushrooms in any shaded location with this step-by-step guide from Jack Algiere of the Stone Barns Center for Food and Agriculture. Each log will produce about 2 to 3 pounds of mushrooms.

Tools and Materials
  • Healthy white oak log, approximately 6 inches in diameter and 4 to 5 feet long at the most
  • Drill with 5/16-inch drill bit
  • Rubber mallet
  • Wood dowels, inoculated with shiitake mycelium
  • Wax for melting
  • Mini Crock-Pot
  • Small paintbrush
Shiitake Mushroom Log How-To
1. Drill several 1-inch-deep holes, about 4 inches apart, into surface of log using a 5/16-inch drill bit.​

2. Using a rubber mallet, hammer wood dowels that have been inoculated with shiitake mycelium (the living body mass of the fungus) into the holes. The mycelium will enter the log and spread throughout the wood.​

3. Melt wax in Crock-Pot. Using a small paintbrush, cover each hole with melted wax.​

4. Place log in well-shaded place, like the north side of a shed or underneath a porch. Water regularly, keeping log wet. Mushrooms should bloom in approximately six months, and the log should continue to produce mushrooms every six months for about six years.​

Resources
Tools and materials available from Field & Forest and Fungi Perfecti.
From The Martha Stewart Show, November 2010

Last edited:
I really, really miss being able to harvest morel mushrooms. I have been looking for "mushroom" kits for morels. I'm not sure I understand the stuff re: the plugs, etc. Do any of you grow mushrooms?

Not sure you can cultivate morels. Won't swear to it though.

Craig

A couple of die-hard mycologists claim to have done it but I imagine it's not something for the faint of heart nor the occasional hobbyist. Which is why they're so bloody expensive to buy!

We used to hunt them in the spring in Iowa where I grew up and bring home bags of them. There's nothing quite like them. Now I have a serious craving ...

A couple of die-hard mycologists claim to have done it but I imagine it's not something for the faint of heart nor the occasional hobbyist. Which is why they're so bloody expensive to buy!

We used to hunt them in the spring in Iowa where I grew up and bring home bags of them. There's nothing quite like them. Now I have a serious craving ...

I really want to try the "oregon" black truffles! I've had fresh Italian blacks, but would like to compare with the "domestic"

Craig

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom