Storebought canned fruit jars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pengyou

Senior Cook
...can I use them at home to can fruit? I am thinking especially of tomatoes, tangerines and other fruits that I like to put in fruit salad. I am tired of the overly sweet syrup that comes with the variety that I buy in the store. I have more than a dozen of these jars now.

Probably not. I don't know where you are, but in the US, most commercially canned products are sold in jars that are not reusable.

Canning your own fruit is easy, but you do need to follow directions precisely and use the right jars and lids.

Even if the glass can be reused, replacing the lid will be an issue. Canning jars (Ball) can be reused as well as the ring, but you must replace the actual lid each time.

Craig

I use jars to freeze fruit, sauces, etc. You must make sure not to fill the jar to the rim. Allow at least an inch or more top space. Many times, after filling the jar, I cover it with a couple of layers of plastic wrap and then a double layer of foil pressed tightly over the top of the jar. I have been doing this for years and have never had a problem. You can make freezer jam with little or no sugar depending on the sweetness of the fruit. Just cook the fruit with a little lemon juice (orange or lime can also be used)and a bit of water or fruit juice ( not much). Add the amount of sugar, honey, sweetener you want -- I like a nice tart jam so use very little or no sugar. Cook the fruit until it thickens a little ( doesn't take long -- maybe 10 minutes). Cool and spoon into jars or other containers. Stand the jars in your freezer -- don't let them bump against each other or they may crack. Good Luck!

Last edited:
thanks! I am trying to stay away from freezing bcuz of the cost of buying another freezer and use of electricity. I will consider it though. Maybe I should use my jars as a means of storing dried fruit? I can put a thin piece of rubber over the top and put the lid on it.

Back
Top Bottom