Corned Beef...can it be baked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kglushyn

Assistant Cook
Ok everybody out there...my husband and I have a question, Can corned beef be baked in the oven? Has anyone ever cooked it any other way other than boiling it in water for hours? He loves corned beef and we are just looking for alternate ways of preparing it.

Part of the benefit of simmering the corned beef in water is that it draws some of the saltiness out of the meat. You risk having a salty piece of meat if you roast it. Also, the brisket is a tough piece of meat that cooking in water helps to tenderize.

Corned beef baked?

Thanks for the replies for my question. I know how salty it is and knew the boiling was a good way to extract some of those salts...but I think the boil first and finish off with the glaze idea would be interesting to try. I will give all of this info to the "corned beef cook" of this house and let him make his choices. Seriously, he needs a 12 step program for corned beef! I am happy with it as a New England boiled dinner style, onions, potatoes, carrots, celery and cabbage, oh yes and the meat.
Thanks again.
Any other idea out there?
I wonder if baking it with lots of liquid, almost braising it, would pull enough of the salt out?

Is it a commercial product or one you are brining yourself?

Craig

Ok everybody out there...my husband and I have a question, Can corned beef be baked in the oven? Has anyone ever cooked it any other way other than boiling it in water for hours? He loves corned beef and we are just looking for alternate ways of preparing it.

I have done it both ways. If you bake the corned beef on a lower temperature for longer it will stay tender.

corned beef

Our's is a commercial product. We have two of them simmering on the stove now with seasoning packets and we will try the apricot recipe with one of them. Thanks for your help.

Our's is a commercial product. We have two of them simmering on the stove now with seasoning packets and we will try the apricot recipe with one of them. Thanks for your help.

It's reallly good to add a touch of prepared horseradish to the glaze.

Ok, I was going to say that if it were your own recipe you could cut back on the salt in the brine. After all, it is a piece of brisket and could be done low and slow in the oven.

Craig

I have had it baked and it was great.
I am going to try it this year when corned beef goes on the cheap and i load up on it. I will brine mine overnight in beer.

My wife also prefers when I cook the ingredients seperately for St Patty meal. I am going to pan fry the cabbage with some carroway seed and roast the beef. The carrots will simmered in beef broth and I may serve some sweet potatoe fries with.

I make the the boiled meal when she is out of town.She hates it.

I like the idea of the beef broth with the carrots, I'll try it. Personally I don't care for corned beef either But tell your wife to try it with the glaze-it helps.

I don't see why it couldn't be braised in the oven. But no liquid at all? I think it would be tough. I think I'd try braising it in a few cans of beer!

I don't see why it couldn't be braised in the oven. But no liquid at all? I think it would be tough. I think I'd try braising it in a few cans of beer!

Beer sounds good.............. let me know how it turns out.

It can be baked and there are recipes online to tell you how, but the easier way is to use a crock pot (slow cooker) to do it.
Two schools of thought on how to do it, veggies in the bottom of the pot, then the corned beef, or the reverse, but both ways covered with at least an inch of liquid, water and beer for me. Cook it on low for approx 7-8 hours, and don't put the cabbage in till the last hour.
Again, lots of recipes online with precise directions.

I almost always simmer not boil on the stove top first then finish by braising low and slow in the oven. I prefer the veggies roasted to boiled. I think boiling does help reduce the saltiness, but some corned beefs are just saltier than others. One time we did one in an electric roaster at work for a St. Paddy's day potluck! It turned out okay ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Cooking

MSC said:
It can be baked and there are recipes online to tell you how, but the easier way is to use a crock pot (slow cooker) to do it.
Two schools of thought on how to do it, veggies in the bottom of the pot, then the corned beef, or the reverse, but both ways covered with at least an inch of liquid, water and beer for me. Cook it on low for approx 7-8 hours, and don't put the cabbage in till the last hour.
Again, lots of recipes online with precise directions.

Have done this for work potlucks as well with success. We have lots of potlucks in our office. Lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Cooking

Whenever I do a New England Boiled Dinner, I do it in the pressure cooker. It doesn't take long and a lot of the salt from the meat is absorbed by the potatoes and carrots.
A lot can depend on the cut of meat. I've had tough ones, tender ones, ones full of fat and grissle, salty ones and not too salty ones. It depends on who you buy it from.

Get the flat cut if your buy'n it, imo. I've smoked it and it turns out nice and tender, but I have never made a good point cut...probably didn't cook it long enough.

Smoke/bake, same basic thing. When the temp hits 130-150 put in foil pan and cover in foil until you can stick a thermometer in it easily. or to about 180-190 or so for thin slice.

Back
Top Bottom