Truffle Oil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As noted, truffle oil doesn't contain real truffles. However, truffle salt does. It's sold at some gourmet shops or you can find it online. It's pretty expensive stuff, running around $25 for a 3-oz jar. It keeps for quite awhile, though.

I really like the salt. A little bit sprinkled on eggs or pasta adds a nice subtle truffle flavor, as opposed to the obnoxious smell and flavor of the oil.

What I sometimes like to do with it, is stirr a few drops into hot pasta, before I put the pasta sauce etc on top. It gives the pasta a really nice but subtle flavour that will go well with just about any pasta topping. :chef:

As noted, truffle oil doesn't contain real truffles. However, truffle salt does. It's sold at some gourmet shops or you can find it online. It's pretty expensive stuff, running around $25 for a 3-oz jar. It keeps for quite awhile, though.

I really like the salt. A little bit sprinkled on eggs or pasta adds a nice subtle truffle flavor, as opposed to the obnoxious smell and flavor of the oil.

yes, subsequent to the oil, i bought some italian truffle salt--very nice. i'm happy with this coarse salt--it has small bits of truffles throughout and smells divine. great in pasta dishes, burgers, soups, stews....:yum::)

Trader Joe's Truffle Oil, house brand, 8.5 oz/$8.59. Black or white. Ingredients; Italian extra virgin olive oil infused with black winter truffles (I'm reading the label). I prefer the black over the white. If they have it on the shelf.

My truffle oil is Urbani (brand) "black winter truffle oil" with "olive oil infused with extra black winter truffles (Tuber Melanosporum Vitt), ingredient list: olive oil, black winter truffle aroma (Tuber Melanosporum Vitt). Whether that means my oil ever saw a truffle is probably best left up to lawyers.

Of course it is a drizzling oil, not meant for cooking. In my few experiments I have yet to be dazzled. Only thing I noticed at all with using it in a few light salad dressings... Didn't rock my planet.

...ingredient list: olive oil, black winter truffle aroma (Tuber Melanosporum Vitt). Whether that means my oil ever saw a truffle is probably best left up to lawyers.

That sounds like they rolled a barrel of olive oil through the truffle market and called it a day. I'm not impressed by the one I tried, either. There's probably some vague shared history between the oil and a truffle, but it seems to have been fleeting. Hideously expensive way to buy highly questionable olive oil.

But it's truffle botulism! Think of the obituary. "Wow!," people will think. "Offed by truffles! Pretty classy!" Like breaking your neck falling down the stairs at Buckingham Palace. Or falling out of a Rolls. Or stabbed to death by the world's finest chef after you sent the food back when you detected that the morels were slightly old.

Trader Joe's Truffle Oil, house brand, 8.5 oz/$8.59. Black or white. Ingredients; Italian extra virgin olive oil infused with black winter truffles (I'm reading the label). I prefer the black over the white. If they have it on the shelf.

Thanks for the tip, gadzooks, I'm adding it to my TJ's shopping list.

By the way folks....since taste is subjective and there are those who enjoy using Truffle Oil, why not? The cooking police aren't going to raid your kitchen and throw out your fake Truffle Oil. :ermm::rolleyes:

But it's truffle botulism! Think of the obituary. "Wow!," people will think. "Offed by truffles! Pretty classy!" Like breaking your neck falling down the stairs at Buckingham Palace. Or falling out of a Rolls. Or stabbed to death by the world's finest chef after you sent the food back when you detected that the morels were slightly old.

:D

All they did was isolate some flavor compounds from truffles and add them into regular oil. What's the big deal?
Since I'll probably never be able to afford a real truffle, I'll settle for a synthetically-flavored oil.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't found any applications for my "truffle oil" yet that were worth the purchase price (several dollars for a pretty small bottle).

Strawberry Lychee Blossom

White Truffle Oil
Fresh Mint Leaves
6 Strawberries, sliced
1 can Lychee Nuts, chilled and drained, reserve syrup

On 2 chilled salad plates, drizzle about ½ teaspoon of Truffle Oil on each plate. Arrange sliced Strawberries in a flower pattern, center 1-2 Lychee Nuts on the berries, arrange Mint leaves for garnish. Take 2 tablespoons of the reserved syrup and whisk in 1 teaspoon of Truffle Oil, drizzle over fruit. Serve chilled.

Note: Lychee Flower, I took one lychee and put a small piece of one nut into the hole of the first, the others, I split and stacked around the whole one. I thought it turned out nicely!

Attachments

• Strawberry Lychee Flower.jpg
    Strawberry Lychee Flower.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 146

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom