Lent is coming..Low budget seafood specials?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

simonbaker

Chef Extraordinaire
Lent is here. Seafood seems to be in higher demand. I only get 6.50 for a lunch special. We have no deep fryer or charbroiler. They are geeting tired of tuna,egg & salmon salad. Any good ideas out there?

Well, you might be able to use my recipe for Poor Man's Lobster that I posted here a while back and make it into poor man's lobster rolls. I've never tried it but it may work.

I'm so old I remmember when Monk fish was so cheap people used to cheat using it as Scampi.

My favorite Lenten Friday meal when I was a kid (I really didn't like any kind of fish or shellfish at all)(I do now!) was a sort of fish hash Mom would make. Think hash browns with a little fish chopped into the potatoes.

One thing that is gaining in popularity is fish tacos. But when you think of it, a fish burrito would do as well, or any kind of roll-up.

Fish and chips? maybe use a tempura(sp?) rather than beer batter to make it lighter? Or do a fish and chips salad, just put the fish and chips on a nice salad....you know...that way us guys can say "but honey, it's a salad"! (just saw a clip from metro diner on DDD)

Fish and chips? maybe use a tempura(sp?) rather than beer batter to make it lighter? Or do a fish and chips salad, just put the fish and chips on a nice salad....you know...that way us guys can say "but honey, it's a salad"! (just saw a clip from metro diner on DDD)

Unfortunately I don't have a deep fryer.

I buy Krab (fake crab) when it is onsale at 2 for one. I love to make it into a Krab salad and serve it over a big bed of greens . Makes a lovely hearty salad. Or you can make a popovers and fill them with the Krab salad mixture.

Someone else posted a recipe in a thread about using fake crab and ramen in a california roll noodle dish.
It was great! I did make a few changes for me,

Brown rice bowls that you can add your ingredients to

Fake crab with some light mayo,soy and splenda
cubed avacado
shredded carrot
cubed cucumber
sliced green onion
chiffonade of nori

soy,sri hacha and wasabi to taste

Where are you located, Simon? How about a blackend catfish, grouper, shrimp? Turn it into a wrap w/slaw.

Fish and "chips" by pan fry'n the fish and make'n a potato pancake. Or slice the potatoes thin and pan fry. Or a big thick cut fish with mash and mushroom gravy.

Seafood gumbo, boiled octopus, calamari in a fry pan w/lettuce.

Sorry, just try'n to throw out ideas in hopes to spark somebody that knows a heck of alot more than me.

Salmom loaf. I can get you the recipe if you like.
Broiled fish with Bruccetta topping. You can use pretty much any type for this.
Stuffed squid. Goes well with a salad and piece of garlic bread.
Poached fish fillet with a shrimp in the middle. Roll the filiet around a small shrimp or two, fasten with a toothpick, and poach in a bit of broth. Only takes a few minutes. You can do a few up ahead and bring back to warm in the microwave for 30 seconds. Serve with salad, or rice.

Last edited:
Some of you folks are lucky to be getting your shrimp low budget. They have been priced pretty high by me lately, $15 something/lb on sale. Maybe my stores haven't started their lenten specials yet... I'm hoping.

Some of you folks are lucky to be getting your shrimp low budget. They have been priced pretty high by me lately, $15 something/lb on sale. Maybe my stores haven't started their lenten specials yet... I'm hoping.

Wow! What size, U-10 or 12? I just bought some WC Florida pink shrimp, 30 to 41 count for $7.00 a pound.

Craig

Back
Top Bottom