Salsa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
I make cranberry salsa, blueberry fresh salsa (great on salmon and grilled chicken--no recipe, but I do about the same that I do with cranberries except I don't cook the blueberries and I don't add sugar), fresh tomato salsa, salsa verda, and plain ol' salsa. What kinds of salsa do y'all make?

I usually make creamy cheesy salsa with pasta. My kids love it soooo much.

How do you make that?
It is very easy. Just melt 1 tbs butter in a sauce pan. Add 1 tbs of flour and mix quickly until you get a smooth mix with no lumps. Then add 2 tbs of sour cream, mix. Then gradually pour in 1/2 cup of plain milk. This is the most important part, you have to pour gradually while mixing so that you don't make any lumps. Stir until boiling, add salt and pepper. At last add in shredded cheddar cheese or parmesian cheese. Then pour the salsa on the pasta and enjoy!:chef:

Last edited by a moderator:
It is very easy. Just melt 1 tbs butter in a sauce pan. Add 1 tbs of flour and mix quickly until you get a smooth mix with no lumps. Then add 2 tbs of sour cream, mix. Then gradually pour in 1/2 cup of plain milk. This is the most important part, you have to pour gradually while mixing so that you don't make any lumps. Stir until boiling, add salt and pepper. At last add in shredded cheddar cheese or parmesian cheese. Then pour the salsa on the pasta and enjoy!:chef:

Sounds more like cheese sauce than salsa.;) Use the cheddar add some sauted chirizo (drained), green chilis and hot sauce and you have a nice queso for chips or nachos.

Craig

Last edited by a moderator:
Mrs. Mom, Salsa is not a sauce. It usually refers to the spicy, often tomato or chili based hot sauces typical of Mexican and Central American cuisine.

Well-known salsas include:

• Salsa roja, "red sauce": used as a condiment in Mexican and Southwestern cuisine, and usually made with cooked tomatoes, chili peppers, onion, garlic and fresh cilantro.
  • Salsa Cruda, ("raw sauce"), also known as pico de gallo ("rooster's beak"), salsa picada ("chopped sauce"), salsa mexicana ("Mexican sauce"), or salsa fresca ("fresh sauce"), "salsa bandera" ("flag sauce", in allusion to the Mexican flag), made with raw tomatoes, lime juice, chili peppers, onions, cilantro leaves, and other coarsely chopped raw ingredients.
  • Salsa Roja, "green sauce": Mexican version made with tomatillos. Sauces made with tomatillos are usually cooked. Italian version is made with herbs.
  • Salsa Negra, "black sauce" is a Mexican sauce made from dried chilis, oil, and garlic.
  • Salsa taquera, "Taco sauce" is made with tomatillos and morita chili.
  • Salsa ranchera, "ranch-style sauce" is made with tomatoes, various chilies and spices. Typically served warm, it possesses a thick, soupy quality. Although it contains none, it imparts a characteristic flavor reminiscent of black pepper.
  • Salsa brava, "wild sauce" is a mildly spicy sauce, often flavored with paprika. On top of potato wedges, it makes the dish patatas bravas, typical of tapas bars in Spain
  • Guacamole: thicker than a sauce and generally used as a dip, it refers to any sauce where the main ingredient is avocado.
  • Mole: a Mexican sauce made from chili peppers mixed with spices, unsweetened chocolate, almonds and other ingredients.
  • Mango Salsa: a spicy-sweet sauce made from mangoes and used as a topping for nachos. It is often also used as a garnish on grilled chicken or grilled fish due to the sauce's gamut of complementary flavors.
  • Pineapple Salsa: a spicy and sweet sauce made from pineapples, used as an alternative to the mango salsa.
  • Chipotle Salsa: a smoky, spicy sauce made from smoked jalapeño chili peppers, tomatoes, garlic and spices.
  • Corn Salsa: a chunky salsa made with sweetcorn and other ingredients, such as, onions and chilies (either poblano, bell peppers, and/or jalapenos). Made popular by the burrito chains for burritos, tacos, and quesadillas.
  • Carrot Salsa: a salsa with carrots as the base.
There are many other salsas, both traditional and nouveau.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom