Did you know...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
You can eat the tops of carrots (the greens)?
If you toss onion skins in the freezer, when you are ready to make soup, they are a flavorful addition when making broth (strain before adding other ingredients--I always make the base for soups first, strain any veggies out, and then add the real veggies--the dogs get the ones that are strained out)
Saving the veggie water from steamed veggies can be used to make a veggie-based soup?
Tossing the turkey carcass in the fridge or freezer has an effect on how much flavor you get from it (it lessens the flavor)?
Adding a cut apple to pork stock/broth enhances the flavor?
Adding a dash of vinegar to meat stock/broth helps release the calcium from the bones?
Sprinkling some vinegar on potatoes changes how your body processes the starch?

CWS4322 said:
You can eat the tops of carrots (the greens)?
If you toss onion skins in the freezer, when you are ready to make soup, they are a flavorful addition when making broth (strain before adding other ingredients--I always make the base for soups first, strain any veggies out, and then add the real veggies--the dogs get the ones that are strained out)
Saving the veggie water from steamed veggies can be used to make a veggie-based soup?
Tossing the turkey carcass in the fridge or freezer has an effect on how much flavor you get from it (it lessens the flavor)?
Adding a cut apple to pork stock/broth enhances the flavor?
Adding a dash of vinegar to meat stock/broth helps release the calcium from the bones?
Sprinkling some vinegar on potatoes changes how your body processes the starch?

So you want the vinegar to change how your body processes the starch? This is a good thing, right?

Isn't acid supposed to inhibit digestion of starches? In other words, a bad thing?

And my carcass is always going into the fridge or freezer because after roasting, carving, eating a turkey, I'm gonna drink some wine and relax. The stock will get made another day.

Isn't acid supposed to inhibit digestion of starches? In other words, a bad thing?

And my carcass is always going into the fridge or freezer because after roasting, carving, eating a turkey, I'm gonna drink some wine and relax. The stock will get made another day.

Jen, he was referring to the TURKEY carcass...

Andy M. said:
Jen, he was referring to the TURKEY carcass...

::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::

I think vinegar helps your digestive system. Some people think vinegar can cure heartburn (rather than just treating the symptoms)

::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::

I think vinegar helps your digestive system. Some people think vinegar can cure heartburn (rather than just treating the symptoms)

Vinegar or any acid is said to neutralize the Ptyalin in your saliva that helps you begin to digest potatoes or any starch. So you chew the potatoes but the digestion of them that was supposed to begin in your mouth never takes place.

Even so, acids taste good on starches!

Apple cider vinegar is said to aid digestion in canines, although I imagine not very many canines are eating starches. Lots of people put a little in their dog's drinking water.

Andy M. said:
Heartburn is caused by an excess of acid in your stomach. Vinegar is an acid. ???

Actually, heartburn is caused by excess pressure on the esophageal sphincter (which keeps your stomach acid where it belongs), or a weakened esophageal sphincter. Antacids neutralize acid, relieving discomfort, but then your body panics, and creates even more acid to compensate, causing a rebound effect. Taking vinegar is supposed to keep you from over-producing acid in the first place, apparently. Which would maybe prevent excess pressure? Obviously that won't fix a weak esophageal sphincter though.

...Taking vinegar is supposed to keep you from over-producing acid in the first place, apparently. Which would maybe prevent excess pressure?...

Your body doesn't produce as much acid if you take vinegar because the vinegar add that acid.

I add apple cider vinegar to a glass of water and drink it about 15 minutes before I am going to eat a big meal. I was told you have to get the one with "mother" in it (and keep it in the fridge). I can only find it at a health food store.

BTW, my dogs eat potatoes and I do put a dash of apple cider vinegar on their food...they love their spuds!

I did some googling on the subject of vinegar as a dietary supplement.

According to WebMD (see link below), regular use of vinegar as a digestive aid or food supplement has questionable effectiveness and is potentially harmful and may interfere with Rx meds.

Apple Cider Vinegar

Apple cider vinegar is said to aid digestion in canines, although I imagine not very many canines are eating starches. Lots of people put a little in their dog's drinking water.

Vinegar does not aid in digesting starch, it inhibits it. In humans.

Since caninine are carnivores, their sytem is set up to digest meat and not starches.

Last edited:
Many salad dressings have vinegar included - I haven't seen many people with a problem with that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom