Help locate a Cookbook on Hard Times

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aunt Bea

Master Chef
I am trying to locate a cookbook from the 1970's that was basically a roadmap for dealing with hard times unemployment etc. It was a paperback as I remember. It listed out sample menus, marketing lists etc. It focused on scratch cooking and was heavy on pancakes, biscuits etc. Any ideas on what the title or the author may have been would be helpful. Also any cookbooks with a similar theme that you may have come across. Thanks for your help.

Aunt Bea:

Please google this: cooking+in+war+times
You will find a lot of sites, some with recipes for those times in which everything was rationed, yet many people ingeniously made a lot of dishes out of nothing.
At least, it will give you some ideas for many things.

And look in your public library, they could have some books that can help.

Hope this information will be useful to you

Also any cookbooks with a similar theme that you may have come across. Thanks for your help.

"Make-A-Mix" is a good start to making mixes from scratch and using them for different recipes. Also, there is a relatively new book (I believe she is mormon), called "Dinner in a Mason jar" and it has inexpensive meals. She lists every ingredient in the front and how much you need for all thirty recipes. I don't know if the second is something you want to look into, but the idea is very useful.

jlhunt

Aunt Bea, I know you found the cook book you were looking for, but I thought I would share this link with you, They have lots of old cook books free. Really interesting site.
Titles: cook+

Josie

Last edited:
This is a great site! I am going to be burning the midnight oil going over these. Thank you very much Josie.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom