Any Ideas For Shark?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mudtimud

Assistant Cook
For some reason I have a MASSIVE supply of shark in my freezer (thats another story) and I have to cook at least a few chunks every week if I want to finish them before they all go bad.

So I took out a chunk yesterday, deboned it and cut it into several pieces. I thought it'd be a good idea to use the same method as salmon so I sauteed them in garlic and olive oil, chopped italian parsley and sprinkled them ontop along with salt and pepper.

It was terrible! the meat is all dry, fibrish and tastless and the worst part is the italian parsley didnt work with the meat at all! I had to sweep the parsley aside when i ate it because it was waaay too bitter.

What do I have to do to make a nice tasty juicy slab of shark? gotta do something with the dry fibrish meat.

bring to room temp, blackening spice (or red spice mixture) hot grill pan or grill sear both sides.

tenderize.
You can pound the muscle fibers apart.
There are medieval torture looking spiked rollers.
You can stab it repeatedly with a fork (best done to the soundtrack from the movie "Jaws").

I'd say season well, let t seat for a half an hour or even an hour, then grill it, and most importantly do not overcook it.

in the past i have made shark scampi. cut into cubes and use shrimp scampi recipe for the indg. and method. been a long time, would have to look it up myself. good luck!

I believe that sharks urinate through their flesh and skin. When they die, the urea converts back to ammonia. Soaking in milk is something I've heard draws out the urea/ammonia. Probably will help with the moisture issue as well.

Craig

PS - Now you'll probably be throwing it out.:ohmy:

ew, that takes care of eating shark for me. I'll for sure never touch it in my life.

I've never eaten shark. I remember my marine biology class in high school and thinking shark would never be on my menu. Did you see the ammonia "cured" shark from Iceland on Bizarre Foods?

Craig

Some of the best (and totally non-ammonia tasting or smelling) fish and chips I have ever had was made from shark.

Some of the best (and totally non-ammonia tasting or smelling) fish and chips I have ever had was made from shark.

Like many foods, prep or proper treatment can render the inedible into a delicacy.

Craig

I love shark. Season it and pan fry in some olive oil leaving some pink in the middle.Grilling it works good too.

Shark makes excellent fish tacos or eat with some mashed potatoes or cauliflower puree.

Isn't shark one of those fish that aren't very sustainable when fished? The grow slowly, mature late, and produce only a few young.

A number of years ago, when I lived in Hawaii, there was a "scandal" about shark being cut into circles (think cookie or biscuit cutter) and sold as scallops, especially in restaurants. So I'd guess I'd go with recipes for scallops.

I've had shark before several times and didn't find it ammonia-y. But I think someone told me (remember, decade+ ago, it isn't exactly a Midwest specialty!) that I probably was getting shark fin, which is better than the rest of the body. I usually like my fish very mild, so I'd have noticed.

I believe that sharks urinate through their flesh and skin. When they die, the urea converts back to ammonia. Soaking in milk is something I've heard draws out the urea/ammonia. Probably will help with the moisture issue as well.

Craig

PS - Now you'll probably be throwing it out.:ohmy:

Do a little research on sharks and you will find that the livers of a very few, specialized sharks (those that can live in fresh water) store urea, and when they dire, bacteriological action tuns that urea into ammonia. The same is true, to a lesser extent, of all sharks, skates, and rays. If cooked fresh, there is no ammonia or urea present in the flesh. This family of boneless fish has to be prepared fresh.

The fins of skates and rays were also cut into rounds and falsely sold as scallops, as the flavor is similar.

I don't eat sharks, skates, and rays as they are hurting in numbers in the world's oceans. Besides, I can't catch them in the Great Lakes anyhow. This is the same reason I avoid cod, and will purchase lesser grade fish like pollok. We have to share some responsibility for the world we live in.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom