Can someone answer a basic cooking question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Its-Just-me

Assistant Cook
When you make soup you take off the top to reduce it down.

When you make tomato sauce you take off the top to reduce it down.

If I have previously prepared tomato sauce, already cooked down and I reheat it with a tight fitting lid does it make the sauce more watery then it already was?

If I have previously prepared tomato sauce, already cooked down and I reheat it with a tight fitting lid does it make the sauce more watery then it already was?

No, it should remain the same consistency. If you add anything it will thin out a bit from the water content of the item added.

If I reheat a prepared sauce, in a pot or pan, I leave the lid partially off so any steam can escape, otherwise it will condensate on the lid and drip into the sauce.

If I reheat a prepared sauce, in a pot or pan, I leave the lid partially off so any steam can escape, otherwise it will condensate on the lid and drip into the sauce.
But the water was already contained in the sauce?

But the water was already contained in the sauce?

Right. If you're starting with a sauce already made and you are happy with the consistency, reheat it tightly covered. Stir in any water that has condensed on the lid and dripped down.

Reheat it with the lid off or ajar if you want to cook off some liquid.

...or use the microwave to reheat it.

Welcome to DC.

Josie

With the lid on, the liquid condenses on the lid and drops back into the pan. It will eventually reduce somewhat, but it generally is the liquid already in the sauce turning into steam/water vapor and dripping back into the pot. If you want to reduce, lid removed (liquid turns to steam/water vapor and dissipates into the air). If you are cooking to get flavor, but don't want to reduce, lid on. Higher heat, also, for reduction, lower heat for more flavor, same amount of liquid.

Back
Top Bottom