March 17, 2011 - What is your St. Patrick's Day Dinner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaveSoMD

Master Chef
Moderator Emeritus
I am still not 100% sure yet. I am thinking bangers and mash (grilled sausages and mashed potatoes).

What about everyone else?

Well, since I am Irish and LOVE corned beef, that's what we're having. I put the beef on to cook this morning and the house is already smelling awfully good. The taters are peeled and in cold water waitin' to be cooked for mashed and the cabbage has been prepped for its bath with the corned beef. Have most of a loaf of homemade French bread and some sweet butter to go along with and some amber bock chilling. Chocolate-zucchini cake for dessert, if we have room.

Well, since I am Irish and LOVE corned beef, that's what we're having. I put the beef on to cook this morning and the house is already smelling awfully good. The taters are peeled and in cold water waitin' to be cooked for mashed and the cabbage has been prepped for its bath with the corned beef. Have most of a loaf of homemade French bread and some sweet butter to go along with and some amber bock chilling. Chocolate-zucchini cake for dessert, if we have room.

Wow and delicious!!!! I had thought about a Shepherd's pie but it is so nice out today that I think grilling is in order and the oven can stay off.

Also corned beef, potatoes and veggies. I have a nice loaf of bakery seeded rye, butter and several types of mustard waiting.

I'm not a lick Irish and my choices are limited to what's in freezer and pantry (had too many bills due the first of the month and have another week before payday). Therefore, we'll be having chicken in mushroom sauce, stuffing and salads.

While I am not Irish, I am doing a traditional New England Boiled Dinner. Corned beef and cabbage with potatoes, carrots and onions.

CRAP! I forgot to buy the cabbage! See you later.

Last edited:
Wow and delicious!!!! I had thought about a Shepherd's pie but it is so nice out today that I think grilling is in order and the oven can stay off.

I can understand, Dave. I lived in the Maryland/DC area for over 30 years before moving here and I recall how beautiful some of the early spring days can be there. I spent many hours out on our huge deck.

I sprinkled some chicken thighs with ranch seasoning and put them in the slow cooker with a little chicken stock. I'll whip up an alfredo type sauce with mushrooms and garlic and add that in a few hours or so. Served over pasta.

I can understand, Dave. I lived in the Maryland/DC area for over 30 years before moving here and I recall how beautiful some of the early spring days can be there. I spent many hours out on our huge deck.

Spring in definitely here! And I'm home early from work so that makes it even better.

I have the corned beef in the crock pot.

The bangers and mash sounds nice... hmmm...

I'm off to Giant to see if they still sell HP Brown sauce for the bangers. :)

I'm making colcannon to go with my rib eye. Apple bread pudding with a whiskey sauce for dessert.

I'm Irish, and I refuse to perpetuate the myth of Irish corned beef and cabbage by eating New England boiled dinner, on St. Patrick's Day or otherwise. There will also be no green dessert.

Since both corned beef and cabbages have been on sale this week, I think I'll make corned beef sandwiches and coleslaw later in the week. But no American corned beef for me on an Irish holiday!

i bought a corned beef at market yesterday. got for just over three dollars. to good to pass up. got up to late to put in crockpot for dinner. going to dr. and don't want to leave it cooking while i am gone. they had no green cabbage, can you believe it. so bought purple, hoping that will work. guess will cook tomorrow. just looked at beef, was only 2.86 dollars.

tonight left over pork ribs and a huge spinach salad. that should do it. have milk chocolate brownies for dessert. baked em yesterday. super good.

I'm Irish, and I refuse to perpetuate the myth of Irish corned beef and cabbage by eating New England boiled dinner, on St. Patrick's Day or otherwise. There will also be no green dessert.

Ok by me, Silversage, but my grandparents, both born in County Mayo Ireland, had corned beef and cabbage on St. Paddy's day, and so I do too.
Makes it plenty authentic for me.
It's sure smelling good in the house.
Happy St Patrick's day to all....no matter what you eat today. :)

img_980117_0_e12ead589de2c1a099e4fab4179b32b6.jpg

Everyone's Irish on St. Patrick's Day ... so dinner tonight will be corned beef and cabbage, with potatoes and carrots and my GF's recipe for Irish soda bread.

Erin Go Bragh!

i bought a corned beef at market yesterday. got for just over three dollars. to good to pass up. got up to late to put in crockpot for dinner. going to dr. and don't want to leave it cooking while i am gone. they had no green cabbage, can you believe it. so bought purple, hoping that will work. guess will cook tomorrow. just looked at beef, was only 2.86 dollars.

tonight left over pork ribs and a huge spinach salad. that should do it. have milk chocolate brownies for dessert. baked em yesterday. super good.

Babe, it's likely the "point" cut that you got for that great price. I sometimes buy a point at this time of year, and freeze it for later on. The point is so fatty that after it's been cooked (and some of the fat removed), it makes the best corned beef hash in the world!;)

I'm making colcannon to go with my rib eye. Apple bread pudding with a whiskey sauce for dessert.

Since both corned beef and cabbages have been on sale this week, I think I'll make corned beef sandwiches and coleslaw later in the week. But no American corned beef for me on an Irish holiday!

So....

I am guessing...

No green soda bread either?

:D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom