Baozi (Filled steam buns)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Damien

Senior Cook
When I lived in Japan this was a popular food that could be found in a steamy box near the register at any good "conbini" (Convenience store). These buns in Japan were filled with all sorts of fillings like Bean paste, Curried meats, vegetables or even pizza toppings. The Japanese names for them were azukemon, pizzamon, currymon, named depending on the filling inside. The chinese name for them are Baozi or Mantou. I'll be sharing a link to a recipe I found online and plan on making these on my next 3 days off. I think I'll use up some Gyoza filling I have in the freezer and maybe doing some ground chicken, garlic and green onion with some sort of a yakitori glaze mixed in.

http://saltysavorysweet.blogspot.com/2008/05/mantou-and-bao-shfu.htm

If You guys try this in the next few days, let me know how it turned out for you.

-Damien
(Hope posting a link to a blogs recipe isn't against the rules here)

Is this what we called manapua in Hawaii? A steamed bun filled with char sui, sometimes stamped on top with the makers mark?

I'm terribly inept with doughs, but I'd like to try making these. I have a specific question: what exactly is that square of paper stuck to the bottom? And, a general question: steamed bun filling recipes please.

I'm terribly inept with doughs, but I'd like to try making these. I have a specific question: what exactly is that square of paper stuck to the bottom? And, a general question: steamed bun filling recipes please.

That is waxed paper for allowing it to rise and to pick them up gently before they are steamed. It seems that just about any filling can be used.

We eat Red Bean paste, char sui bau, custard bau for breakfast, this is lunch or dinner.
padeswood 228.jpg

padeswood 229.jpg

padeswood 230.jpg
Ps the wax paper is to stop them sticking to the bamboo steamer.

Last edited:
Is this what we called manapua in Hawaii? A steamed bun filled with char sui, sometimes stamped on top with the makers mark?
Claire, Yes, basically the same thing as Manapua. Only difference is the varying styles of fillings.

-Damien

The waxed paper is to prevent sticking. I've also seen noted and used a piece of lettuce in the bottom of the steamer basket.

I've done some searching for filling ideas. The following are pages with recipes or my own ideas.

-Char Siu pork
Char Siu Recipe (Chinese barbecue pork) | China | Whats4Eats
-Gyoza filling
(There are quite a few recipes for Gyoza filling, choose for your tastes)
-Yakitori chicken pieces, garlic and sauce
-Ground chicken, leeks or spring onion and yakitori sauce
-Minced curry vegetables and meat (Beef, chicken or pork)

-Damien

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom