Defrosting Pan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

soupernan

Assistant Cook
:rolleyes: I have one of those ridged defrosting trays which works great, but I don't know how to clean it safely. Have had it for several years and found it when cleaning out some old pots and pans. I want to clean it good but I seem to remember the instructions said not to clean it with soap and water! Any suggestions? I don't want to use it until I know it is safe.

I think so. I've had it a really long time, but only used it a couple of times as wasn't sure if it would clean properly and I can't find the instructions that came with it. Dumb huh:mad:

It's useless to you now so clean it so you're satisfied with its safety so you can use it. If it's metal (probably aluminum) soap and water won't hurt it.

Defrosting Sheet

It's in the dishwasher as I write this. After getting a name for the thing I looked it up online. No good reviews so I'll just find another use for it.Thank you for the response.:)

I actually find my kitchen counter works pretty well. I have a manufactured stone (Cambria) counter top that defrosts meats very quickly, similar to aluminum.

I just use my aluminum cookie sheet. I remember the hype on TV about that piece of aluminum being a "miracle" at defrosting.
Welcome to DC soupernan.....hope you stick around. ;)

I just use my aluminum cookie sheet. I remember the hype on TV about that piece of aluminum being a "miracle" at defrosting...

That's the idea, Kayelle. The thicker the aluminum, the better it will work as a defrosting aid. A thick aluminum pan might work better.

I use my thick aluminum baking pan to defrost also. Since they are so good at pulling and dispersing the cold, you can use that to freeze things too. I use it when I'm freezing things like green beans, or blueberrys, or even pancakes. It cools down quickly and holds the cold and transfers that cold to the food quickly. I just lay what I want to freeze on then pan and pop it in the freezer on top of all the other frozen stuff.

I have a 36 inch wide electric stove, so there is a nice sized space between the burners. We use that surface for defrosting.

Back
Top Bottom