Sun Tea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyndalou

Head Chef
Have any of you ever made Sun Tea? How do you do it? I'd like to try to make some but not sure how to do it.
Thanks.

Put water and tea bags in your container, set outside in the sunlight.

That being said, I found that the tea will make itself wherever you put it, even in the refrigerator.

Use about six regular sized tea bags per gallon of water, and make certain your container is clear glass or plastic. Let it steep in the bright sunlight for six hours.

This isn't merely a matter of steeping bags in cold water, the sunlight changes the chemicals of the tea. For some reason it seems to come out more mellow.

Last edited:
I find that glass works better than plastic and it is best if it gets direct sunlight for as long as possible.

I might add, don't add sugar to the tea until it is done steeping. It just doesn't seem to work well if you add the sugar at the beginning. I think it must kind of ferment or something. (Providing of cours that you use sugar at all.)

I think the food police don't like sun tea any more--something about bacterial growth. I make tea often just by putting tea bags in a pitcher and putting it in the fridge overnight.

yes sun tea can grow alot of bacteria, alot of articles on it.
to me it is just as easy to boil the water pour it over the tea bags and put it in the fridge

I used to get frustrated because when I made tea by the boiling water method it always came out cloudy. But my ten year old son could always make it crystal clear. It took me forever to figure out that the only difference was that he did not boil the water, just let it get hot. Not boiling. (Let me tell you, cloudy iced tea is pretty unappetizing.) Well, these days my tea is clear too.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom