I'm afraid she has to go

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Today (Sunday, 27th) was a good day. Yesterday I thought it was the end, I really did. Today she just did what I consider normal "mouthing", and not much of that. If she lunged and snapped at husband, I didn't see it and he didn't tell me. So ...today we have hope for the future. I just don't get it, though. She was the perfect dog for 2 weeks, then became hell on wheels. We're really determined for this to work. My husband is the one who gave in to puppy lust, chose her from an ad the shelter printed. I was the reluctant one, calling and trying to get as much info as I could. Today I acted a bit on the cool side towards her and that seems to have helped. We've both been trying to spend lots of outside time with her, walking, fetching, etc; she really wants to be an outside dog. I guess it doesn't help that we had a crash in weather (freezing rain) that maid it pretty difficult for us (she seems impervious). But, at least as of now (9:30 p.m., Sunday), we all had a good day and she's (and husband) are both down and out for the count. Tomorrow I will call around and find someone more reasonably priced in the training area. Never needed it before, but am always willing to recognize when I need help.

Oh, the squirt thing? Very effective with cats I've had ... very effective. This dog will attack the squirt bottle and shred.

Tomorrow I will call around and find someone more reasonably priced in the training area. Never needed it before, but am always willing to recognize when I need help.

You could look into a dog walker as well Claire. They are cheap and you would only need one when you can't go out yourself.

Oh, the squirt thing? Very effective with cats I've had ... very effective. This dog will attack the squirt bottle and shred.

Don't put the bottle low enough down when you squirt for her to get it. It is a very effective and non-threatening way if you make the water the "punishment" not the bottle or squirt gun.

Last edited:
Do you have a PetCo to Petsmart near by? The sometimes offer classes at a reasonable rate.

One thing I have noticed with a lot of folks who have 'problem' dogs is that they are afraid of hurting the dog's feelings. They want to reason with the dog, in a calm tone of voice. Dogs don't understand paragraphs--you have to communicate quickly and definitely.

If the dog is doing something that could lead to expulsion from the home, it is time to let the dog KNOW that what she is doing is wrong. Dogs do it to each other with snarling and physical contact--physical contact that does no damage.

Your husband needs to let her know that what she is doing is intolerable. Cesar Milan uses a quick poke to the throat area and an accompanying noise--like a CHHHH! sound. He needs to impress her that he is not playing, he is not going to tolerate being annoyed, and that she could get her butt handed to her on a platter if she doesn't stop NOW. He is not fooling!! If he does it right, she should back up and show some submissive behavior.

She is really young, she has lots of potential and this doesn't seem to be a major character flaw.

Believe me, this is NOT my first dog. Husband looked at behaviors he was showing that might be encouraging her, but today I was walking through the house (remember, I'm 5'9" tall, I wasn't looking down or handling food, and she jumped up and snapped at my face, and came w/i an inch or two of connecting. At this point I'm very reluctant to put bad money after good. We've agreed to wait for another week, but no matter how you look at it, we've already paid $300 for her (more I think) and if she breaks skin on someone's face (and if she can reach mine, she can reach anyone's), the possibilities are more expensive that we care to contemplate. I just don't think it's worth it, so she'll probably have to go. If a child in my neighborhood was bitten in the face it would just kill me, and if parents decided to sue, it would kill my life.

i am so sorry to hear this. what have you tried? if you have tried all methods suggested maybe it is time. i would suggest one method and keep it up til she gets the drift. i hate to give up on pets. to soft hearted i guess.

Claire-You sorta remind me of me when i got my dog. Granted I don't have the same issues, but I really didn't think i could do it. The behavior that you're talking about for an 8month old puppy(not sure what kind of pup) sounds fixable. But as with any dog you will need proper training. With this jumping biting thing I would definitely talk to a trained professional. If you're not willing to spend money on it, i would rehome the dog. And not to sound mean, but i wouldn't get another one. Dogs are expensive-training or medical issues pop up, that's your responsibility. This dog is young and nay dog is trainable with the time, the tools and trainer. I wouldn't go to petsmart or any of those place since you're dog probably already knows basic commands. if it doesn't than you should go, but they will not teach you what you need to know in regards to the jumping and biting,.

Jacky, it isn't simply money. It is that we have a lot of neighbors with young children, and many friends that are elderly, and we have them over often. I know that training this problem will take time, and meanwhile we have neighbors with children aged 2-12, and many elderly friends, who we have over often, and a bite in the face such as she tried to give me today would be a serious problem. We've always paid top dollar for our animals medical care. We waited for years to adopt again, and chose a shelter dog on purpose.

But at 5'9", just when I thought we were making progress, she jumped me and came within an inch of biting my face. This isn't just puppy mouthing. This is major aggressive. I had no food on me, and was just sauntering through the house. Yes, I'm sure someone with infinite patience, and no other people to think about, might be able to fix the problem. and no, I am a firm believer in the financial commitment of a pet and have had many and always paid willingly (hence, the already 300-400 commitment to this dog, which if I can't keep her, I will donate back to the shelter, plus some, and her med bills will be taken care of for another half-year). But I am not, NOT willing to have one of my friends have their faces disfigured while I'm learning to deal with her, paying more money, and still have to do the same. Right now, at 8 mos old (well, I guess it's 9 now), maybe someone who prides themselves on doing this and doesn't have anyone who they're concerned about injuring adopt her, they're more likely to at this age. The facility I got her from is a no-kill, and I'll be sending her back with ... not kidding, 6 mos of care, so you know it isn't money. I'm just concerned about my neighbors, because she's majorly agressive when she gets in a mood. Yes, I could take her to school and hope that in a few months she'll be acceptable. Meanwhile, I can't have any friends to my house, because I can't trust her even with me, when I'm alone in the house, she'll jump over 5' and bite me in the face. And she's getting worse by the day.

I never would have believed this myself. She only weighs 15 lbs, and 80% of the time she's adorable and loving. But I don't feel I can take a chance on having company come and having a bite in the face, and don't feel I can spend the time trying to get her professionally re-trained because I know from experience that kids and elderly ... well, it wouldn't matter what age. She hasn't broken skin but it is only a matter of time if she keeps up at this pace. We are the most calm household you could possibly live in. Once a child "pets' her too hard, or she decides to pull what she did on me today, we're toast. So I'm hoping someone for whom these are not issues will adopt her.

It is breaking my heart, because when she is good, she is very, very good. But when she is bad, she is, well, ridiculous. Having her teeth within an inch of my face this afternoon made me realize that this problem may be solvable for someone, but not for someone who has to worry about another person being hurt.

Right now she is sleeping, and being a good girl, and my husband and I have both cried over this. We've tried everything that everyone has suggested. And we'd be willing to do more, except that we aren't willing to chance her hurting our friends, and if she's willing to hurt us, well, maybe it is just time to give up the ghost. I'd like to have some friends over sometime this spring and summer after a long, cold winter, and having her continually lunging at their faces ....

Claire,

Not to hurt your feeling or anything. It's just my opinion on dealing with my own 15 Pound Terror at the time. And what we ( ME) did to correct her and now! Trust me I was like you. Frustrated, tired and felt manipulated by her. Your in the same boat that I was. It's not much fun is it?

Already covered her Diva housebreaking here.

Biting.. Pull her off and roll her on her back. Another thing about that. YOU get territorial of that couch! If she jumps on it on her own. Or while you or you husband are on it. Take her off of it! Make her sit. She's not allowed up until you say she can get up. That's YOUR couch. Not hers. Repeat it however long it takes for her to get the idea. She's stubborn..

Next time she tries to jump up on you. Raise your knee. If she gets the knee in the chest. Well she just got the idea that wasn't a smart move. If you have to, put her on her back. Her mother would.

The food dish.. That to belongs to YOU!. Get it ready, do your usual routine. It's best not to chat with her while your getting it ready. That gets them over stimulated. She knows what your doing and likes it.

Place the bowl down. Stand in front of it. Make her sit.
Don't let her pass around your legs to get to it. Period. Place her in a sitting position keep her in that spot. That food is also yours, until she can behave.

When she can sit like a lady and wait, she can have the dish.

I have 3 dogs Claire, but this last one Sophie, was exactly like yours. She took some work. But the job is done. We have peace and harmony once again.

Feeding time here. I make all 3 sit and wait. No moving out of line jostling for position. When they behave they get rewarded. They in turn feel good about themselves to. Mostly because they waited for my command for them to go ahead and eat.

So you see your dog isn't a lost cause. You just need to take control of your home. She will get it. Give it time, love and patience.

Remember your the boss. No woman likes to be manipulated. ;)

Hope it works out.

Small dogs need a lot more discipline. I think if you find a good trainer you may be able to help this dog. I am glad it's not just money, but it's better to fix the behavior in a young dog. It really can go in many directions no matter what age you adopt. When a dog reaches (typically) 2 (adulthood) their behaviors tend to calm down. What kind of dog is it? Is she baring her teeth, growling, hackles up lunging type of behavior? have you tried keeping her on leash and correcting(pull lightly) when she exhibits the behavior? I know you've had her for a short while and I don't think you've given it enough time. I know you fear for your neighbors and children in the neighborhood, but you can crate the dog when people are over while continuing training.
My dog is a jumper. she loves people and her tail is insane. Keeping treats she doesn't normally get and giving them to her when people come over, calms her down and keeps her focused and a good girl. We had a trainer for a while and he taught us alot of things.
I understand the need to have a dog you trust, but I feel as with any animal you need to train no matter what, no matter where it came from, no matter how old. So even if you return the dog. Find a good trainer for the next dog you adopt. YOu never know what type of habits the dog will develop later.

Munky, feeding isn't an issue, at all! She behaves when hubby feeds her, sits while she pours it out, when released, gobbles her food, and is happy. She is well behaved then. It took a bit, but my husband feeds her and tells her to sit, and can feed and water her and she's good. She just hits weird times of day and goes balistic, and once she starts getting over-excited, it is impossible to calm her. But her leaping 5 feet to try to bite my face today was a bit much, and made me fear for ever being able to have a social life at all if we keep her. Or perhaps having a face at all, myself. She really was viscious. People tell me how bad Jack Russells are (which we've had a couple), and this is just a little hound dog of some sort. But I really am thinking that maybe it is time to just give it up. I hate it at this time of night when she is so damned good. Much of the day she'll just sit and curl up beside me. But then she'll have an hour or two every other day when she'll bite whoever is walking by (it started off just being my husband, but now it is me as well). I'm serious, I cannot take my vitamins or pain killers when she's around without her trying to get them from me, and she won't take any version of no for an answer.

I think I told you, we've raised two Jack Russells who are known to be the worst. Nothing like this.

Laying her on her back just makes her meaner.

She also doesn't like to be petted, for the most part. Not the "I've been abused" cowering and snapping I've seen (remember, I'm not exactly inexperienced with animals).

Even the usual affection you'd give a dog as a "reward" or "comfort" thing, can make her get aggressive. This is one of the hardest things for us to deal with; when petting or even the most gentling of affection gets us a snap.

What strikes me as weird is the timing. She was "perfect dog" for two weeks. Then her entire demeanor changed. Even her physical appearance changed to a degree. The fly-away ears that made the shelter people think she was an Italian greyhound changed to forward leaning ears. We thought it was a good sign, that she was getting relaxed and used to us. Soon after, her agression started.

Oh, well. I'm going to spend the next few weeks crying, but if a dog can jump to my face and bite it, I can't chance her with children and elerly. I've never given up a dog before, and I will not do it again. I think that is meaner than anything, to have a dog go in and out of homes, and I know for a fact that she's been in two shelters already. I should have known that I didn't have it in me to do it.

I'm soft hearted when it comes to pets as well. But more soft hearted when it it comes to human beings, and I just cannot imagine this dog with my children and elderly friends. I've never had this problem before,but it seems I have to make a choice between spending the rest of my life with a dog that will bite my face off or having human friends. Yes, I know there are a ton of people who have training systems that would get me a perfectly behaved dog in a year or so, but guess I don't get to allow anyone to come into my house while we're working on it, because her biting faces is a bit much to expose our friends to while we're hoping we can train her to.

I know some of you don't believe this, but I am crying as I write, and she is being the perfect doggie right now (after trying to bite my face off about 6 hrs ago). My husband is also feeling totally depressed. He looked into everything and stopped everything that might have been adding to the problem.

We've had her for the better part of a month.

She will not respond to affection. One thing I didn't think too much of. I figured, well, we can get her over that. But she doesn't really like to be petted or even scratched. That was the first "symptom". When you show her affection, of any sort, she would "mouth" OK, I've dealt with that before. But her aversion to physical affection seems weird. Like I said, her first couple of weeks with us she just seemed ... well, too good to be true. Then she started to hate some touches. If she slopped on her back you can scratch her belly, but after a minute she'll bite your hand.

She simply bites, bites, bites. But chancing a face bite is too much.

Don't worry, we're returning her to the no-kill facility where we found her, with supplies for anything and everything she needs for 6 months. I just wish we could have kept her. Any of you in the midwest who think I'm horrible, go to Jo Daviess and adopt her. At least she now has a name she will answer to, which she didn't when we took her.

Claire,

She needs to be worked with by you also. You take over the feeding and daily care of her. It's about time she starts learning to have some respect for you. She will have none for you until you assert yourself to her.

She can be calmed down. You just need to be the one to do that to. I've already told you put her on her back. And hold her until she calms down. Let her get testy. So what! She's going to get over it. Won't she? If she knows your going to be the first to roll over and give up. She wins again. Don't let her win. Or the cycle continues.

Have a taped ( empty soda can) filled with a few pennies. Make it so it has a good rattle noise. Keep a few around the house. Carry one with you.

Any time she stars to lunge at you or anyone. Shake and toss that can at her feet and mean it when you do! Tell her NO!. Dogs hate those cans. But it works. I still keep them around. Now all I have to do is reach for one. My dogs remember and get in the sitting command mode.

That will also work when you need to take your meds and she's around. When your relaxed, she's relaxed..

Don't worry about your social calendar. People can wait and respect your decision if you choose to take the time to be with her 24/7 for a month or so until she behaves.
She will get over this. Get her a stuffed animal. She can take her aggressions out on that while she's slurping it's stuffing :)

You can have people over. Limit who and how many.
Put up a sign at the front door " Dog in training, be patient." You'd be surprised how many people take that sign serious and will be a little more cautious and courteous towards her and you, until the sign comes down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom