New Toy - Deep Fryer!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
I couldn't resist when I saw a deep fryer on sale for $40. They are regularly nearly $80 so I bought one on a whim. Now I'm afraid I'm going to clog my family's arteries as I play with my new toy. I made spring rolls last night, I'm contemplating doing some fries tonight. I really bought it so I could make sizzling rice soup, but I don't have any shrimp so that's on the back burner for now. LOL! Here is my new baby.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    65.7 KB · Views: 310
That's the model I have. I really like it. I have "moments" where I use it a two-three times in a row, and then it gets put away for several months. Deep-fried breaded mushrooms...

My next frying experience will be crab rangoon. I just have to come up with a filling recipe I'm happy with and go for it.

Nice. You'll like the sealed lid. I have a similar style that I don't use anymore, but I always liked that part about it.

Time for some rippers....!

Thought I might also do tempura everything, and jalapeno poppers. Anyone got a good batter recipe?

I just discovered the timer function on this model. *forehead slap* Ah well, who needs a timer really? ;)

Mine has a 15 minute timer on it. At the end of the 15 minutes, it shuts off if you don't add time. It's supposed to be a safety feature but can get little annoying.

I'm with cw. Go for deep fried mushrooms. When I get to heaven there is no doubt in my mind that I will find them there!

Battered
I cup flour
1/4 c corn starch
1 tsp salt
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp baking powder.

Add water to desired consistancy.
Flour the mushrooms then dredge in the batter. Deep fry heaven.

Do you realize that if you deep fat fry at the right temperature, the food will absorb almost no fat? See, you don't need to clog everyone's arteries. :LOL:

Alix, I use this recipe that I got from Cook's Illustrated. I have never had a better tempura batter. It is soooo light and sooooo crisp! If you go to their site, you can probably read their whole story about how it works so well, but here's the basic recipe in my own words.

Shrimp Tempura
Clean & devein colossal shrimp (I used U-8's). Make one or 2 small slits in the inside edge of the shrimp to keep them from curling too much during cooking. Pat dry and set aside on paper towels.

Heat oil to 400F.

Mix dry ingredients in 1 small bowl:
1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup cornstarch

Whisk in another small bowl:
1 cup vodka
1 egg

When the oil gets to 385F, add 1 cup seltzer water to the wet bowl. Then whisk the wet into the dry. Whisk our most of the lumps, but don't worry about small ones.

By now, the oil should be at 400F.

Quickly dip the shrimp in the batter, then drop in the hot oil. Fry for 2-4 minutes, depending on the size, until just barely turning a pale gold.

Drain on paper towels.

Don't fry more than 1/2 - 3/4 pound in a batch.

Attachments

• tempura 021.jpg
    tempura 021.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 265
Last edited:
OMG, I'm drooling! I'm doing a shrimp/onion rings/mushroom/veggie tempura night. Oh...and doughnuts for dessert! WOOT!

Back
Top Bottom