Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Cooking Contests (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f123/)
-   -   GCC - Convenience Store Challenge (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f123/gcc-convenience-store-challenge-71165.html)

PrincessFiona60 02-27-2011 12:05 AM

GCC - Convenience Store Challenge

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kathleen (Post 973404)
I've bought my ingredients. Let me just say that this is about 2 months (maybe three) too soon to have mushrooms as the secret ingredient! I sincerely feet like I've been mushroom hunting!

Tomorrow will be my cooking day! I cannot wait!

Next challenge should be the 7-11 challenge: All ingredients must be purchased from the local 7-11! No more than four items beyond salt, pepper, butter, oil, and flour can be used from your home pantry. One stop shopping!

Actually, that might be a blast. :wink:

Quite fun...no 7-11's around here or Mini-Marts. I'll have to hit Holiday or Noon's. Should be local corner convenience store and gas station.

Kathleen 02-27-2011 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 (Post 973434)
Quite fun...no 7-11's around here or Mini-Marts. I'll have to hit Holiday or Noon's. Should be local corner convenience store and gas station.

That works! I can move to the Tiger Mart, which is that combo around here. I really do think it would be fun!

PrincessFiona60 02-27-2011 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kathleen (Post 973435)
That works! I can move to the Tiger Mart, which is that combo around here. I really do think it would be fun!

Absolutely! I'm already thinking on it.:lol:

DaveSoMD 02-27-2011 04:32 AM

All we have here are Sheets and WaWa.

FrankZ 02-27-2011 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveSoMD (Post 973448)
All we have here are Sheets and WaWa.

They might make some type of medication for that. :whistling:

Kathleen 03-12-2011 10:20 PM

Next Challenge

I posted this in another thread thinking it was here, but how about this idea for our next challenge?

I think it would be a sincere kick to do something like a Convenience Mart Challenge. Something like a 7-11 or Tiger Mart....a place without a deli, etc. To make four courses: appetizer, main, dessert, and drink. To be able to use no more than six ingredients in your kitchen, including salt and pepper.

An odd challenge, but one anyone could try and would definitely take us all out of our comfort zones - with VERY fun results.

LPBeier 03-13-2011 12:35 AM

Kathleen, I think that is a great idea but I think the rules should be a little tighter than that. Our convenience stores sell a lot of groceries such as cake mixes, canned goods, etc. Are these things allowed? What constitutes acceptable Convenience Mart foods?

I would really be up for this. I remember how they hated it on Top Chef. I think it is great because it really draws on your creativity!

Kathleen 03-13-2011 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LPBeier (Post 978535)
Kathleen, I think that is a great idea but I think the rules should be a little tighter than that. Our convenience stores sell a lot of groceries such as cake mixes, canned goods, etc. Are these things allowed? What constitutes acceptable Convenience Mart foods?

I would really be up for this. I remember how they hated it on Top Chef. I think it is great because it really draws on your creativity!

I would think if they sell it at a 7-11, it's fine. I wish we could find a 7-11 kind of place that is more or less nationwide. Are any nationwide?

Kathleen 03-13-2011 03:52 AM

Convenience Store List

I think any of the stores on this list are fine, but people can only shop at ONE store. It would have to be ONE stop shopping. Items at home should be typical pantry items: Salt, pepper, flour, sugar: No more than six in total. Ideally, the fewer outside items used, the better! That is, after all, the challenge.

PrincessFiona60 03-13-2011 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kathleen (Post 978545)
I think any of the stores on this list are fine, but people can only shop at ONE store. It would have to be ONE stop shopping. Items at home should be typical pantry items: Salt, pepper, flour, sugar: No more than six in total. Ideally, the fewer outside items used, the better! That is, after all, the challenge.

Whew...Holiday is listed. I guess I could use Cenex, that would be more of a challenge. A lot of ours are a private convenience store with an affiliated gas station.