The "Down & Dirty"....I'm talking 'bout the Devil's Organ...the GALLBLADDER!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Midnight_Merlot

Senior Cook
The "Down & Dirty"....I'm talking 'bout the Devil's Organ...the GALLBLADDER!

OK, so, maybe my title was a bit much, but, dang it, I am smack-dab in the middle of a gallbladder crisis, &, at times, feel like a little devil is living inside of me....the sneaky ba sir tid.
I have been on a strict regimin of fresh fruits & veggies all week, along w/sluggin down gulps of olive oil & lemon juice concentrate. How much "fun" does THAT sound like? Oh, wait...lets not forget to add the epsom salt "rinse" that you must drink as well for the "flushing".
When I first began this mess, I discovered that I did actually "pass" some baby-sized stones...now, that I have done it a few times, I have evidentially dislodged some of the "whoppers", &, yes, thankfully, those have been moving along quite as well too.
I just KNOW that, SOMETIME...sooner than later (I hope) I will be in better condition than when I first began, &, can FINALLY eat food like normal people do.
My question, is this - have ANY HERE tried to clean their own gallbladders out WITHOUT going down the route of having it removed?

Huuuummm...beginning to think that perhaps my GB is just the "naughtiest" of the bunch. (trust me - it's naughty as hell)...I am working through it, & hope to impress my Dr. on the 17th when she is scheduled to see me. My determination stems from not having to hear "yep, its full, so, we'd like to schedule surgery for you ASAP"...uummmm...noooo...I am bending over backwards at present time to keep my organ. Thus far, I have "released" all but the kitchen sink (IF it was originally green in the first place) LOL :)

Huuuummm...beginning to think that perhaps my GB is just the "naughtiest" of the bunch. (trust me - it's naughty as hell)...I am working through it, & hope to impress my Dr. on the 17th when she is scheduled to see me. My determination stems from not having to hear "yep, its full, so, we'd like to schedule surgery for you ASAP"...uummmm...noooo...I am bending over backwards at present time to keep my organ. Thus far, I have "released" all but the kitchen sink (IF it was originally green in the first place) LOL :)

(((hugs))). I'm so sorry you have to go through this. I have heard such awful things about the pain of gall stones. I can understand why you would want to avoid surgery, if possible. I'm sending healing vibes in your direction (I assume somewhere south and a bit west of Montreal?). Get well soon.

Having it removed is no longer a big deal. In and out, and quick recovery (they just pull it through the belly button now, so you don't get a lot of scarring). Of course, if having it removed is avoidable, it is a good idea to not have it removed, but if you are in misery, I say have it removed. I was very glad to stop having the horrible pain and misery. :cool:

Last edited:
Barb, I am sincerely confused...please forgive...the reports that I have maintained suggest that there are actual MORE reports of discomfort, plus added accounts of diarehhea due to the lack of the gallbladder.
Honestly, I am scared 2 ways from Sunday!!!!

I had mine removed 12 years ago. Laproscopic surgery done out-patient. Went in the morning home by dinner. Whether the gall bladder is full or not is NOT the only criteria for removal. If it gets inflamed it can lead to infection and a whole host of other abdominal issues. An infected belly is the worst infection besides sepsis to clear up. I had never heard of flushing out the gall bladder with the diet you described in my nearly 30 years of nursing. I have not had any problems with discomfort once the healing from the surgery was complete and have no problems with diarrhea either. Initially, I would have to "go" soon after eating but my body adjusted to the change and now I am "regular" and "normal". I'm sorry you are suffering. Hope you are pain-free soon! Don't fear the after effects of surgery if your doctor recommends it.

Midnight Merlot, I don't think it is possible to "cleanse" the gallbladder entirely. And if it is, you are still risking something far worse by trying to "pass" the stones. I was told that you can potentially pass a stone into your pancreas and get pancreatitis. THAT is something to be avoided at all costs. Truthfully, if you are prone to gallstones, then they WILL come back. Its just a matter of time.

I completely sympathize with your pain. Gallbladder attacks are AWFUL. I was living on lettuce, cucumbers and chicken broth and was STILL having horrid attacks. I had mine out in Dec 2007 and was so grateful to have it gone. I've never had any issues following surgery. As a matter of fact, I woke up and the first thing they asked me was, "are you hungry?" and they gave me peanut butter toast. OMG, best toast EVER! It was fast and easy and I did a yoga class 4 days later (restorative poses only) and have never looked back. I ALSO understand being scared spitless of surgery and what comes after etc. I was a mess when I was waiting. On the other side of it now my advice would be, find the best surgeon you can and get that sucker yanked as soon as you can. I'm so sorry you're in pain. There isn't much that is worse than gallbladder pain that I've experienced. Blech.

mine was removed before the belly button surgery came into being. it was really just awful the pain from the attacks was unbearable so had no choice. i eat anything i want to. no sudden trips to bathroom. no permanent problems with it being gone. go for it. my pain was worse than child birth. i was very glad to stop that.

Best surgery on the market - get that sucker out! The diet/cleansing you are doing does work for some folks for a while, especially if your gallbladder troubles are from a recent diet or health change. For most folks, it on;y postpones the inevitable and risks having a section of dead organ in your abdomen, which is really BAD for your health. I drove home from having mine out about 12 hours after surgery, feeling infinitely better than when I had been admitted to ICU with a R/O of heart attack and other lovelies. The anesthesia does pose a risk any surgery can involve infection etc etc etc. BUT you will feel much better for a long time with it out. A huge Fish and Chips dinner will sometimes lead to an urgent need for a bathroom, but it isn't diarrhea the way you get with a virus and it isn't very often especially once your body has had a few years to learn other ways of fat metabolism than just gall.

As the others have said, it was so much better afterward. In fact, my surgeon told me that gall bladder surgery is the one surgery where you feel better right after the surgery than before. I didn't even know that I had gall bladder problems. I thought the pain I was getting for a few years was just really horrible gas. Finally it was so bad that I actually thought I was having a heart attack (heart attack and gall bladder pain often are confused for each other) and went to the emergency room. I have never regretted having the surgery.

Last edited:
I started having problems with mine during my first pregnancy. When I described the attacks everyone would say "Oh, that's normal. It's just the baby putting pressure on your organs." We finally discovered the gallstones when she was laying in her crib shortly after she was born and I had an attack. Strangely enough I was relieved. I'd told my husband I didn't think I could get pregnant again if being doubled over in pain for 2 hours was a normal part of pregnancy!

My worst came after she was born though. I had to wait 6 weeks after delivering before they could do the surgery, so while I was waiting, I passed a stone & it became lodged in the bile duct on its way. After 12 hours of intense pain, turning bright yellow, and 9 hours in the ER, they were planning an emergency surgery when I suddenly started feeling better. They did an ultrasound and found that the stone had finally dislodged itself and passed. I spent the whole time I was waiting for the surgery eating constantly (except the day in the ER, when I couldn't eat anything, of course) because I was nursing and being told I was losing weight way too fast but couldn't eat anything with a substantial amount of fat because it would cause an attack.

Because I'd recently had a baby, they kept me overnight after the surgery. I went home the next day, was off the pain meds by the next day, and back to waiting tables at a very busy restaurant just less than a week after the surgery. I really could have returned even sooner, but we were trying to play it safe. I agree with the others, the surgery really isn't that bad. Of course there are risks associated, but imho a planned surgery is better then a bile backup (which starts basically eating your tissue) because a stone gets stuck on its way out, which will require surgery anyway. I was also told by my Dr that even if you can get rid of the stones, they come back. Good luck with whatever you decide. The same answer isn't right for everyone, so I hope you find the right one for you! (and have few or no attacks in the mean time!)

ACK! I had a very nicely laid out reply w/quotes, but, around 3/4ths of the way through, my computer sent it out into 'net obvilion (I was SOOO mad)!! :(

Anyhow, I sincerely do appreciate everyones helpful advice here. I am now no longer as scared as I was, &, am just very glad to have at least read others experiences, rather than imagine horrors hatched iinside of my own head.

I really do think that I may just request the surgery. Afterall, I now see it as I am the landlord, &, have an unruly tennant. I was so "gung-ho" earlier on to rid myself naturally, but, now realize that this is far beyond me. I give. Gallbladder wins for now. At this point in time, I am really having unnatural thoughts on how to "kill" my organ....I think that after surgery, I will probabally laugh manically. *muahahahaha*

Will let you know what happens at my appt.!

Merl mate everyone bricks it when they face surgery, I am phobic over needles I faint if I watch them going in. Get the job done and remember you will feel like a new Merl the Girl:)

Back
Top Bottom