Mojitos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oldcoot

Senior Cook
The web is rife with recipes for mojitos (the drink), and I followed one that seemed most accurate to me. Here's the result.

MOJITOS.JPG

Sorry to say, Ironchef, and Kitchenelf, the Mojito will not be listed among my favorite beverages. "Way too minty for either my or BW's taste.

But it was fn mixing them up and trying them.

Didja know that the term "Mojo" is probably of African origin,
meaning "Black Magic"?

"Elf - notice the glass stirring rod that made a perfect "muddler" at the left of the glasses?

I love mojitos and have never found them to be too minty. Could it be that you put too much mint in it ?A couple of crushed leaves are quite enough .You're supposed to taste mostly rhum and lime. Gee, I think I'll go and mix myself one!

balibar, lots of folks like scotch whisky - I am not among them. But, as you suggestinon is plausible, I'll give it one more try, using much less mint than the recipe I used required. I'll get back to you.

O.I. Followed your instructions, and I must admit the result was substantially better - down to little more than a hint of mint. Cold and refreshing, but, sadly, still not likely to bewcome a favorite of mine or BW's.

I see that muddler old coot!!!! A friend of mine is not fond of rum and makes hers with Gray Goose - it's good that way too. I usually muddle about 3-4 mint leaves per glass - just enough for a hint of mint.

What is your recipe old coot??? I'm curious. (BTW, thanks for the pic)

Old Coot, am I being particularly dense today or are you telling me you're making your mojitos with scotch whiskey? In which case I can understand you wouldn't like it. The ones I drank in Latin America - and the ones I make at home (infrequently!) are made with white rhum, lots of crushed lime, sugar and ice.

balibar - when I make mojitos I make the same way you do but then top off the glass with some soda water - it's really, really refreshing - mmmmmm..........

To make the whole process easier when we have a party we will make a simple syrup - equal parts sugar and water, heat to melt sugar, squeeze lime halves and add mint. Just briefly blend in mixer then strain - then when making you just take this mixture as your base, muddle a few mint leaves or just garnish, depending on how much mint you got in the simple syrup - add ice, and top off with soda water.

No, I did not make the Mojito with Scotch - I would never make anything with Scotch! I used rum - or rhum, if your prefer :).

Kitchenelf - what the h--- is going on? Suddenly I get everthing listed under separate headings - this undeer beverages, for example. Darned nuisance to find anything..?????????????????????????????????

oldcoot said:
Kitchenelf - what the h--- is going on? Suddenly I get everthing listed under separate headings - this undeer beverages, for example. Darned nuisance to find anything..?????????????????????????????????
You already posted this in the site feedback area, which is the best place for it :)

I learned to make mojitos in Santo Domingo. This is the "recipe" I use:
put either caster sugar or cane syrup in a glass, add wedges of lime until glass is practically full, then use a woodden crusher (the end of a woodden spoon is fine) and crush the lime into the sugar, add the rhum or rum, add ice up to the brim. Add a couple of crushed mint leaves. The water from the ice should be sufficient to dilute the mojito. Of course how much alcohol you put in is a matter of taste.

I too was rather flummoxed by the new settings. Thought I was on the wrong site for a while.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom