How can I stop dried milk from smelling if I makes batches of it to put in the fridge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wholesome Joe

Assistant Cook
I've found it works out more economical to buy large 454 gram packets of dried skimmed milk and just make it up when I want cereal as that is the main thing I use it for.

Since I'm really hazy when I wake up I'd prefer make it up before hand to keep in the fridge.

What I've found happens though, unlike milk you buy in a carton normally, that if I make up say a liter of dried milk and put it in the fridge it will very quickly start to smell like cheese. It tastes fine but the cheese smell is pretty unnerving and is rather overpowering by the last day. So what is going on here? Is it not pasteurized or something? I thought it must be since it is dried cos they had to heat it to get it like that right?

So why is it doing that and what can I do to prevent it? Is there a step I can take to make it like 'normal' milk myself?

Now if it turns out to be more hasstle than buying fresh milk then it would defeat the object but that is why I'm inquiring now. The other main reason I buy it like this is cos I like to buy things in bulk for a few weeks to save me constant trips to the shop but with milk it goes bad if you do it like that hence why I buy dried.

So any suggestions?

Thanks.

WalMart sells a white plastic, glass-lined thermos-style, 1/2 gal. pitcher with a handle and screw/pour cap. I believe I paid less than $7.00 for it. It keeps odors out as well as in with the cap snugged down. When loosened you can pour from it without removing the cap.

Last edited:
I often get dried milk in the commodities box each month. I make it up in my blender and keep that in the fridge with the lid on. I've never noticed any odd smells.

I'm glad to see someone else likes it too. I like to make it with a little extra dried milk. It tastes like malted milk to me.

Regular milk is so ridiculously expensive, and I can't keep it on hand because I drink it all up.:pig:

Both Selkie and Zhizara mentioned something that you didn't mention in your post. Do you keep it tightly covered, or is it in an open pitcher? Even regular milk smells funny to me after being in an open pitcher.

If you are doing everything right and it still smells funny after sitting overnight, why don't you measure out your milk and water the night before (refrigerating the water), so that all you have to do is dump and mix quickly. Even if you are hazy in the morning (I know the feeling!), that wouldn't take much effort. :)

At first, mine wasn't cold enough to drink right away, and I solved the problem by keeping the dried milk in the freezer, and make it with cold water from the fridge.

hehe,

Thanks for suggestions and it's good to see so many other dried milk appreciators, I thought I was 'special' :D.

I see a couple of other lines of inquiry worth investigating in my quest for virginal milk :angel:

What I did previously was keep it in just a normal milk carton so I guess I could try keeping it in those airtight (or fairly airtight?) tupperwares and see if that helps.

In regards to keeping it in the freezer won't it be frozen by morning thus defeating the convenience aspect of it?

Last edited:
hehe,

Thanks for suggestions and it's good to see so many other dried milk appreciators, I thought I was 'special' :D.

I see a couple of other lines of inquiry worth investigating in my quest for virginal milk :angel:

What I did previously was keep it in just a normal milk carton so I guess I could try keeping it in those airtight (or fairly airtight?) tupperwares and see if that helps.

In regards to keeping it in the freezer won't it be frozen by morning thus defeating the convenience aspect of it?
We were talking about freezing the powder, not the prepared milk. :cool:

hehe,

It won't do anything else in the freezer except be cold. It's still just like it was.

And you are special Joe - because you like it too!

Back
Top Bottom