Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Left Raw chicken in Trunk - HELP (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f26/left-raw-chicken-in-trunk-help-71632.html)

JGDean 04-16-2011 12:55 PM

Left Raw chicken in Trunk - HELP

Several weeks ago a package of chicken escaped my grocery bag and was in the trunk of my car for 5 days. There was a bad odor in the garage and we thought something had died. After searching, we found nothing. On day 6 I went to put charity stuff in the trunk and nearly barfed on opening the trunk. We have tried many things to eliminate the odor throughout the car to no avail. Please... any suggestions???

Saphellae 04-16-2011 12:57 PM

Have you gotten it detailed?

I haven't smelled 6 day old chicken in a hot car.. I don't think I'd want to.. I have no idea :(

Andy M. 04-16-2011 01:04 PM

Remove everything from the trunk - the spare tire and carpeting etc. then wash the interior with a strong detergent solution. Do the same for the trunk liner whether it's rubber or carpet. You may need an industrial size bottle of Febreze or other deodorizer. Check with auto or hardware stores. Then just keep airing it out.

You will probably find the smell is in the passenger compartment. Then you need some auto upholstery cleaner for the carpeting and seats.

Paying a professional to do all this for you may be a good idea.

LAJ 04-16-2011 01:33 PM

Have you thought of a car cleaning/detailing company? they can do wonders

Alix 04-16-2011 01:59 PM

Holy cow, GROSS!!!

Everything needs to be cleaned. The cleaning ladies on TV (How Clean is your House) always suggest adding a cut up lemon to your cleaning water to help deodorize stuff. They use a lot of vinegar and baking soda too. I had great success with the lemon water when I burnt garlic in the microwave. Good luck!

taxlady 04-16-2011 02:12 PM

As others have suggested, it may be worth it to have a professional auto detailer do it for you. A detailer likely has the products on hand or needs to buy them anyway. But, be sure to tell the detailer what happened before asking for a quote.

If any of your friends do detailing or have a good auto detailer, that's who I would suggest you use. The hand car wash places are of very random quality and might damage the finish of your car in the process.

roadfix 04-16-2011 02:15 PM

Good thing the police weren't involved. :D

pacanis 04-16-2011 03:03 PM

Several weeks is too long for chicken to be sitting in a trunk unrefrigerated.
Throw the car out.

:rofl:

I'd try one of those ozone electric air cleaners on it. Run an extension cord out to the car and close it in the window. Leave the air cleaner run for several hours and see if it does its thing.

Aunt Bea 04-16-2011 03:40 PM

A bucket of lime might do it.

Kayelle 04-16-2011 04:15 PM

Pac, I just snorted my tea again. :lol:

Quote:

Several weeks is too long for chicken to be sitting in a trunk unrefrigerated.
Throw the car out.

At first I thought for sure the question was gonna be "can I cook it".