Saturday Apr 16 - Dinner plans?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
Got a chicken brining. I'll stuff it and do some sauteed veggies for our cooked veggie. I have a craving for coleslaw so that will likely be on the menu as well. Dessert will be whatever hits my fancy in the next couple of hours.

Barbara making stew the other night gave me a craving, so stew it is. Made from some bison chuck. Need to get a loaf ot Italian bread going soon, too.

What kind of fowl, Andy?

Old chickens. They are usually sold as sewing hens. You can tell they aren't bred for their meat as the breasts are small for the overall size as compared to a oven stuffer type chicken. They have a more developed flavor as they are older. They are supposed to be cheaper because they are less 'desirable', but they aren't.

With a freezer full of entrees, I'll be doing leftovers until I get room to make some more.

Tonight is hamburger onion pie.

Risotto with some beautiful oyster mushrooms Craig found Thursday. Going to finish it with the truffled cheese we still have left from our cheese shoppe visit.

DH is going out with friends (I don't have time during tax season), so I will experiment. Some beef strips pounded and stir fried with some hot pepper, mango, grated creamed coconut. Add some fresh ground cumin and coriander, salt and pepper, some beef stock, and corn starch, maybe a tiny bit of freshly ground fennel. I might throw in some sliced celery and carrot. Served with brown basmati rice.

Any other suggestions?

Old chickens. They are usually sold as sewing hens. You can tell they aren't bred for their meat as the breasts are small for the overall size as compared to a oven stuffer type chicken. They have a more developed flavor as they are older. They are supposed to be cheaper because they are less 'desirable', but they aren't.

I was expecting something more exotic, like pigeon :LOL:

Seriously I don't think I've ever seen old chickens for sale around here. Not advertised as such anyway.

I was expecting something more exotic, like pigeon :LOL:

Seriously I don't think I've ever seen old chickens for sale around here. Not advertised as such anyway.

Now that you mention it, I noticed that when Lums was still around down here, they offered a roast chicken dish called Wienerwald chicken. I never tried it, but always thought they looked small. I was guessing cornish hens. I noticed though, that after Lums closed down, the pigeon population grew in leaps and bounds! I wonder?:ohmy:

Craig

They same thing happened here when the activists started closing down the snipe farms...

Pot roasted sirloin with taters and carrots, gravy. DD made brownies but the are so underdone they ooze! She insists they are supposed to be that way. Can't tell a 14 year old anything.

They same thing happened here when the activists started closing down the snipe farms...

You mean we have to start wild snipe hunts? If that is the case, I'll have to send someone for a sky hook and bacon strecther.:) I never did hear back from the scout I sent after a left-handed screw driver.:(

Craig

When I was in the Navy they used to send folks out for a length of flight line.

Mexican night here. Pork enchiladas with gravy (sauce) tamales and refritos. Maybe even flan for dessert. This was already planned when unexpected family arrived to stay last night and wanted to "go out" for Mexican for lunch today before they left. Didn't have the heart to tell them what we were having for dinner. Oh well, lucky for us we really like Mexican food! Ole'!

How do they thread the needle?:LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom