Failed banana bread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamoehope

Assistant Cook
I attempted to make this banana bread from this link but the change I made was what I learned from an America's Test Kitchen episode on banana bread. I used 5 bananas instead of 3 and I microwaved the bananas to soften them and make a banana liquid to add to the bread.

My bread never finished cooking. After the hour was done the bread was very wet in the middle. I cooked the bread another 20 minutes and the top became burnt while the middle was still unfinished. What did I do wrong?

Sounds like your batter was too wet.. too many bananas and I wouldn't liquify them.. mash them. I have a banana bread recipe on the site, let me grab it..

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f10/amazing-moist-low-fat-banana-bread-45978.html

I would also check the temp of your oven? Do you bake often?
There are little oven thermometers that just sit inside your oven, and can tell you if your oven is off. Alot of them are off by a few degrees.

Last edited:
Sounds like your batter was too wet.. too many bananas and I wouldn't liquify them.. mash them. I have a banana bread recipe on the site, let me grab it..

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f10/amazing-moist-low-fat-banana-bread-45978.html

Thanks for the recipe. I'll try it out next time.

I would also check the temp of your oven? Do you bake often?
There are little oven thermometers that just sit inside your oven, and can tell you if your oven is off. Alot of them are off by a few degrees.

I have a thermometer in the oven to make sure the degrees are correct. And I do NOT bake often... :( I need more experience.

Why didn't you just make the ATK recipe?

You have to pay to see the ATK recipe so I tried to find another recipe not to pay. I modified the recipe I used according to the recipe I saw on the TV show which said to use a lot of bananas and excess water from microwaving.

i have never reduced the bananas to a liquid. i think that was your problem. depends on the size of the bananas whether or not you could add any more than the recipe calls for. but i am sure it was the cooking them.

i have never reduced the bananas to a liquid. i think that was your problem. depends on the size of the bananas whether or not you could add any more than the recipe calls for. but i am sure it was the cooking them.

I should clarify I didn't reduce the bananas completely to a liquid, just partly. On the TV show the hosts said to microwave the bananas 5 minutes to create a liquid to add to the bread. It was supposed to increase the banana flavor. I tried the liquid and it was good!

I should clarify I didn't reduce the bananas completely to a liquid, just partly. On the TV show the hosts said to microwave the bananas 5 minutes to create a liquid to add to the bread. It was supposed to increase the banana flavor. I tried the liquid and it was good!

Didn't they reduce the liquid?

I use defrosted, frozen bananas. They lose liquid in the freezer and shrink, so when I measure my banana mush, it usually takes 5 frozen bananas to equal 2-3 fresh ones, by volume.

Next time I make banana bread I will reduce and use the banana liquid. I will make sure I don't have more liquid than the recipe calls for.

Didn't they reduce the liquid?

Next time I make banana bread I will reduce and use the banana liquid. I will make sure I don't have more liquid than the recipe calls for.

I did not pay attention if they reduced the liquid. It probably makes a difference. I also will do what you said which is not use more liquid than is necessary.

Yes they did reduce the liquid, then cooled it. Don't remember the amount they reduced to though. We happened to watch that episode either last weekend or the weekend before.

Are you sure you have to pay to get the recipe? I've looked up some of their recipes in the past and all you had to do was join their group.

Last edited:
I have their cookbook, and have made that recipe. After you either thaw or microwave the bananas, you end up with at least 3/4 cup of liquid. Then you reduce it to a scant 1/4 cup. If you didn't reduce it, then you have at least 1/2 cup too much liquid.

It's actually a very good recipe.

Check your PMs

Thanks Andy and Medtran for your research! I may try again. :)

I have their cookbook, and have made that recipe. After you either thaw or microwave the bananas, you end up with at least 3/4 cup of liquid. Then you reduce it to a scant 1/4 cup. If you didn't reduce it, then you have at least 1/2 cup too much liquid.

It's actually a very good recipe.

It looked like an amazing recipe on TV. I'll reduce the liquid accordingly next time. I just have to muster up the courage to do it again and go find some old bananas!

i been making banana bread using the following recepie by Betty Crocker

i follow the recepie closely but few things, i add 1/2 cup of dried sweet cranberry and i used 1/2 the sugar suggested in the recepie, also if you don't have the buttermilk onhand i use vanilla flavored yogurt instead. its very good recepie , my family loves it!

Banana Bread Recipe from Betty Crocker

We made this banana bread recipe in the shop and it tasted great and the customers who tried were impressed too. Hope you are.

my banana bread doesn't always turn out either. i've been making a version with a cake mix and it's always perfect. pm me if you want it.

I use the banana bread recipe from the Fanny Farmer cookbook that I have had forever, and have never had a problem, regardless of whether I make them as one big loaf, eight small loaves (I have a pan for that. See below), or as muffins.

Banana Nut Bread
from The Fannie Farmer Cookbook, Eleventh Edition

Ingredients:
  • 3 ripe bananas
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 cups flour
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 cup nut meats
Method:

Mix in a bowl 3 ripe bananas, well mashed, and 2 eggs, beaten until light. Sift together 2 cups flour, 3/4 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon baking soda. Add to the first mixture. Add 1/2 cup nut meats, chopped. Stir well. Put in a buttered loaf pan 9 by 5 inches. Bake 1 hour at 350 degrees.​

img_998373_0_4e99b3a29169f1fa21b874b50fcf4070.jpg

Last edited:
I use the banana bread recipe from the Fanny Farmer cookbook that I have had forever, and have never had a problem, regardless of whether I make them as one big loaf, eight small loaves (I have a pan for that. See below), or as muffins.

Banana Nut Bread
from The Fannie Farmer Cookbook, Eleventh Edition

Ingredients:
  • 3 ripe bananas
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 cups flour
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 cup nut meats
Method:

Mix in a bowl 3 ripe bananas, well mashed, and 2 eggs, beaten until light. Sift together 2 cups flour, 3/4 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon baking soda. Add to the first mixture. Add 1/2 cup nut meats, chopped. Stir well. Put in a buttered loaf pan 9 by 5 inches. Bake 1 hour at 350 degrees.​

img_1078703_0_4e99b3a29169f1fa21b874b50fcf4070.jpg

hi sir, i was getting ready to make a loaf of your banana nut bread. i noticed in the list of ingredients, there is no shortening mentioned--would you please check to see if that might have been omitted? thanks.:)

Annual membership is around $30. I don't sub to any magazines. We don't eat out, we don't go to movies, we don't drive new cars. I curl in the winter, and that's it. I figure I can afford $30/year to access previous seasons' recipes. Current season are supposed to be available free.

hi sir, i was getting ready to make a loaf of your banana nut bread. i noticed in the list of ingredients, there is no shortening mentioned--would you please check to see if that might have been omitted? thanks.:)

Double checked (I have two copies of the Fanny Farmer cook book, one hard cover and one paperback) and there is no shortening, or lengthening. I've been using that exact recipe for over 30 years without fail.

Back
Top Bottom